Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor
Poe Hall 326R
Dr. Jones is Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor of science education. Her teaching focuses on science teacher preparation and her research examines teaching and learning science. Dr. Jones’ research focuses on learning science in a variety of sociocultural contexts. Her research examines how a number of subgroups learn, including: gender, minorities, and students with visual impairments. Recently Dr. Jones has conducted a series of studies that examine nanoscale science education. She directs the Nanoscale Science Education Research Group that is investigating how people learn scale and scaling, the role of haptics (touch) in learning, and effective strategies for learning nanoscale science. Dr. Jones also investigates virtual reality interfaces for learning science.
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Jones, M. G., Chesnutt, K., Ennes, M., Mulvey, K.L., & Cayton, E. (2021). Factors Predicting Future Science Task Value. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 58(7), 937-955.
- Jones, M. G., Ennes, M., Weedfall, D., Chesnutt, K., Cayton, E., (2020). The Development and Validation of a Measure of Science Capital, Habitus and Future Science Interests. Research in Science Education. 1-17. DOI: 10.1007/s11165-020-09916-y
- Jones, M. G., Lee, T., Chesnutt, K., Carrier, S., Ennes, M., Cayton, E., Madden, L., & Huff, P. (2019). Enclothed Cognition: Putting Lab Coats to the Test. International Journal of Science Education, 42(14), 1962-1976.
- Jones, M. G., Childers, G., Corin, E., Chesnutt, K., & Andre, T. (2019). Free Choice Learning and STEM Career Choice. International Journal of Science Education, Part B, 9(1), 29-39.
- Chesnutt, K., Jones, M. G., Hite, R., Cayton, E., Ennes, M., Corin, E. (2018). Next generation Crosscutting Themes: Factors That Contribute to Students’ Understandings of Size and Scale. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 55(6), 876-900.
- Jones, M. G., Childers, G., Andre, T., Corin, E. N., & Hite, R. (2018). Citizen Scientists and Non-Citizen Scientist Hobbyists: Motivation, Benefits, and Influences. International Journal of Science Education, Part B, 8(4), 287-306.
- Jones, M. G., Corin, E., Andre, T., Childers, G., & Stevens, V. (2017). Factors Contributing to Lifelong Science Learning: Amateur Astronomers and Birders. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 54(3), 412-433.
- Chesnutt, K., Gail Jones, M., Corin, E. N., Hite, R., Childers, G., Perez, M. P., & Ennes, M. (2019). Crosscutting Concepts and Achievement: Is a Sense of Size and Scale Related to Achievement in Science and Mathematics? Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 56(3), 241-371.
- Jones, M. G., Jones, B., & Hargrove, T. (2003). The Unintended Consequences of High-Stakes Testing. Boulder, CO.: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Gardner, G., Jones, M. G., Albe, V., Blonder, R., Laherto, A., & Paechter, M. (2017). Factors Influencing Postsecondary STEM Students’ Views of the Public Communication of an Emergent Technology: a Cross-National Study from Five Universities. Research in Science Education, 47, 1011-1029.
- Delgado, C., Jones, G., You, H. S., & Halberda, J. (2017). Scale and evolutionarily-based approximate number system: An exploratory study. International Journal of Science Education, 39(8), 1008-1024.
- Jones, M. G., Corin, E., Andre, T., Childers, G., & Stevens, V. (2016). Factors contributing to lifelong science learning: Amateur astronomers and birders. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 54(3), 412-433.
- Taylor, A., & Jones, M. G. (2011). Students’ and teachers’ application of surface area to volume relationships. Research in Science Education, 41(3), 357-368.
- Jones, M. G., Taylor, A., & Forrester, J. (2011). Developing a scientist: A retrospective look. International Journal of Science Education, 33(12), 1653-1673.
- Jones, M. G., & Taylor, A. (2009). Developing a sense of scale: Looking backward. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 46(4), 460-475.
Doctor of Philosophy Science Education North Carolina State University
Master of Arts Biology Appalachian State University
Bachelor of Science Biology Appalachian State University
Honors and Awards
- 2021 National Technology Leadership Initiative (NTLI) Fellowship Award, ASTE
- 2020 Educational Innovation for NC Science Mathematics and Technology Education Center Partnership Award
- 2018 Jackson Distinguished Service for Outstanding Science Education Leadership, NC Science Leadership Association
- 2017 Best Paper Award, American Education Research Association (AERA) Applied Research on Immersive Environments for Learning
- 2016 The Distinguished Service in University/College Science Award, NC Science Teachers Association
- 2016 Alumni Outstanding Research Award
- 2016 Research Leadership Academy Inductee
- 2016 NC State University Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award
- 2016 Academy of Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentors
- 2016 National Technology Leadership Initiative (NTLI) Fellowship Award for Science Education
- 2015 Outstanding Science Teacher Educator of the Year Award, Association for Science Teacher Education
- 2014 Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor Award
- 2014 Outstanding Extension Award
- 2014 Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension Award
- 2014 Alumni Association Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award
- 2011 Friday Fellow for Educational Innovation
- 2010 Association of Educational Publishers Finalist Award for Science Curriculum
- 2006 Outstanding Paper Award, Hands-on Science Education: Multimedia Instruction That is Appealing to Female and Male Students, Multimedia Applications in Education, Graz Austria; Extreme Science
- 2005 Haptic Cell- SensAble Developer Challenge Award Winner: Honorable Mention
- 1997 Outstanding Research Paper, N.C. Association of Research in Education
- 1988 Award for Outstanding Scholarship on Teacher Education, Association of Colleges and Schools of Education in State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges
- 1988 Outstanding Dissertation Award, Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development