Our CAEP accreditation requires that all students be formally admitted into professional education programs. This formal admission is different from your admission into NC State University or the College of Education. Formal admission is a gateway called Admission to Candidacy (ATC). ATC status is granted by the Office of Professional Education (OPE) after students have met specific program and North Carolina Department of Public Instruction requirements. ATC is required before you are eligible to take ED 311/312 and student teach.
Complete at least 45 credit hours (Including transfer credits)
Complete the General Education Requirements for English and Math:
- ENG 101 or ENG 111 and ENG 112
- 2 Math courses appropriate to your major
Successfully Complete the appropriate “Introduction to Teaching” course
- ED 204 AND Co-requisite (ECI 204, EMS 204, EMS 205, OR TDE 202)
- AEE 206 (Agriculture Education Majors Only)
- ELM 205 (Elementary Education Majors Only)
Maintain cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 on all coursework taken at NC State University
Pass all 3 Parts of the Praxis I exam or satisfy the requirements through the exemption policy
The Praxis Core series is designed to measure basic skills in Reading, Writing, and Math required of all teachers.
The minimum required scores for individual tests are:
Reading = 156
Writing = 162
Math = 150
Register online to take a Praxis test by visiting https://www.ets.org/praxis
Praxis Core Exemption Policy
You may be exempt from Praxis Core Testing if you meet one of the following conditions:
SAT (Old – Before March 2016)
- Combined 1100 (Critical Reading (verbal) and Math) exempts you from all 3 Praxis I tests
- 550 on Critical Reading exempts you from reading and writing Praxis I
- 550 on Math exempts you from math Praxis I
SAT (New – After March 2016)
- Combined 1700 (Critical Reading (verbal) and Math) exempts you from all 3 Praxis I tests
- 600 on Critical Reading exempts you from reading and writing Praxis I
- 570 on Math exempts you from math Praxis I
- Composite score of 24 exempts you from all 3 Praxis I tests
- 24 on English exempts you from reading and writing Praxis I
- 24 on Math exempts you from math Praxis I
- Obtain a combined score of 468 across all three areas of the Praxis I Tests
Student Score Reports
Students may receive scores by phone for a fee (1-877-386-8322); however a hard copy of the score is needed for the Office of Professional Education.
To Be Licensed in K–12: All Areas
For more information, visit https://ets.org/praxis/about/core/content/
If you wish to take all three computer-delivered Core exams (5712, 5722, 5732) at the same time,
select Core Academic Skills for Educators: Combined Test (5751) when registering.
Scores will be reported by individual test (5712, 5722, 5732).
DO NOT WAIT to take the Praxis Series.
Click here to see where Candidacy falls on a visual aid for Becoming a Teacher at NC State
Frequently Asked Questions About Admission to Candidacy
How do I apply for candidacy?
Admission to candidacy is an automatic process once you have met all of the requirements. You can track your status in SAGE under Gateways.
How do I know when I have been admitted to candidacy?
When you log into SAGE each semester you should check your status under Gateways. You will not receive official notification of your admission so it is the students’ responsibility to monitor their status in SAGE.
Can I appeal an ATC denial?
You cannot appeal an ATC denial.