Alternative Licensure and Residency Programs
Do you already have a bachelor’s degree and want to teach in North Carolina? Or, are you already teaching in North Carolina but need to clear your residency license? Whatever your background and interest, the NC State College of Education has a program that will help you earn your teaching license and leverage your experiences to make an impact in the classroom as a highly effective educator. All our residency programs are recognized by the N.C. Department of Public Instruction as approved Educational Preparation Programs (EPPs).
Why NC State College of Education
- Flexible | Take courses online, in-person in the evening, or through a mix of face-to-face and online courses.
- Quality | Learn from nationally recognized faculty with K-12 teaching experience at a state approved Educational Preparation Program.
- Relevant | Choose from content areas that align with your passion:
- Business and Marketing Education
- Elementary Education
- English as a Second Language
- Social Studies
- Special Education
- Technology Education
- World Languages
Receive More Info on Alternative Licensure and Residency ProgramsComplete this form to have someone contact you about one of our alternative licensure and residency programs.
As someone who had never been in a classroom to teach before, [this program] taught me both the content and how to effectively communicate with an elementary classroom. . . NC State was my first and only choice.
Stephen McKinney ’19MAT
Prepare to teach and lead at the top teacher preparation program in North Carolina.
Teaching Alumni on Statewide Performance Measures (UNC Educator Quality Dashboard)
Passage Rate on State Licensing Exams — 30 Points Higher than Average (DPI)
Value Among Colleges in N.C. (Money Magazine)