Consisting of three courses in the Department of Teacher Education and Learning Sciences, our initial licensure program is one of the lateral entry programs in the Alternative Teacher Education Program offered at NC State. This program is designed specifically for provisional licensed teachers currently in the classroom. Courses are offered as extension courses and delivered entirely via online and field-based experiences.
Course of Study
All courses are offered during both Fall and Spring semesters.
- ECI 561 Curriculum and Instruction in Business and Marketing Education (3 semester hours)
- ECI 562 Business and Marketing Education Program Management (3 semester hours, prerequisite ECI 561)
- ECI 657 Internship in Business and Marketing Education (6 semester hours, prerequisite ECI 561)
In addition to the above courses, a teacher must take and pass the subject area Praxis II Exam (either Business Education or Marketing Education) as indicated on their Provisional License.
Upon completion of the 3 courses listed above and a successful score on the Praxis II exam, NC State will apply for the teacher’s Class A license with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
Admissions requirements for the ILP include:
- Employment as a Lateral Entry (provisional license) Teacher in a North Carolina public school system
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, business or marketing education, or related area from an accredited college or university
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75
- An official copy of all college or university transcripts
- Completed NC State Lateral Entry Application
- Completed Licensure Plan