Consisting of three courses in the Department of Teacher Education and Learning Sciences, our initial licensure program is one of the Lateral Entry/Residency programs in the Alternative Teacher Education Program offered at NC State. Courses are offered as extension courses and delivered entirely via on-line and field-based experiences.
Course of Study
All courses are offered during both Fall and Spring semesters.
- ECI 561 Curriculum and Instruction in Business and Marketing Education (3 semester hours)
- ECI 562 Business and Marketing Education Program Management (3 semester hours, prerequisite ECI 561)
- ECI 657 Internship in Business and Marketing Education (6 semester hours, prerequisite ECI 561)
In addition to the above courses, a teacher must take and pass the subject area Praxis II Exam (either Business Education or Marketing Education) as indicated on their Initial License and have a passing score on the edTPA.
Upon completion of the 3 courses, passing Praxis II score, and successful score on the edTPA. NCSU will write a Letter of Completion for the student to apply for their “Continuing License” through NC-DPI.
Admissions requirements for the ILP include:
- Employment or Acceptance of offer of Employment as a Lateral Entry or Residency licensed Business or Marketing teacher in a North Carolina Public School System
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, business or marketing education, or related area from an accredited college or university, or 24 credit hours in Business or Marketing
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75
- An official copy of all college or university transcripts
- Completed NC State Lateral Entry/Residency Application
- Completed Licensure Plan