The Transformational Scholarships Program will provide scholarships totaling $40,000 over four years to promising high school students from Eastern North Carolina who will return to the region to teach after graduating from NC State’s College of Education. Launched in summer 2021 thanks to a generous charitable grant from the Anonymous Trust, the program will welcome its first cohort of 20 Transformational Scholars in fall 2022.
Transformational Scholars are future teachers who will . . .
- Receive $10,000 per year in scholarship support for up to four years, in addition to funds that support professional development such as study abroad and conference participation
- Participate in field experiences, summer work, student teaching and other activities that equip them to return to Eastern North Carolina to work as teachers after completing their undergraduate degree
- Receive direct mentoring from College of Education faculty and education leaders living and working in Eastern North Carolina, including graduates of NC State’s Leadership Academies (NELA)
- Develop lifelong relationships through a cohort model where Transformational Scholars will support and be supported by the same group of peers over their time in the program
Transformational Scholars will be selected based on the following criteria:
- their admittance to NC State as first-year students
- their demonstrated financial need
- a resident of an Eastern North Carolina county
- their commitment to returning to Eastern North Carolina to teach
- their commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- their commitment to the teaching profession
Why We Love Eastern North Carolina
The Four-Year Transformational Scholars Experience
Transformational Scholars will engage in experiences that prepare them to serve as extraordinary teachers and leaders in Eastern North Carolina as part of a cohort—meaning they will support and be supported by the same group of peers over their four years in the program. Transformational Scholars will focus on a key theme during each year of their participation in the program.
About Transformational Scholars
college for education majors in North Carolina
teaching alumni as rated by employers
producer of STEM educators in North Carolina
About the Anonymous Trust
Trisha Mackey ’18MED
Director, Transformational Scholarships Program
NC State College of Education