Dr. Tamara Young is an associate professor in Educational Leadership, Policy and Human Development and the program coordinator for Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis. Dr. Young's scholarship is primarily comprised of two strands of inquiry: politics of education and the implementation of educational programs, policies and practices. She is also interested in evaluating STEM education programs and researching career pathways for youth and college students traditionally underrepresented in STEM careers. She is currently co-PI for a $1 million grant for the Interdisciplinary Biochemistry Masters Program at NC State funded by the NSF S-STEM program.
1. Educational Policy ~ Implementation of Educational Policies and Programs ~ Politics of Education
Ph.D. in Education [Specialization Areas: Educational Administration and Policy and Dissertation: Understanding coalitions in state educational policy: The selection of alliance partners in reading policy issue networks. Committee: Cecil Miskel (Chair), David K. Cohen, Brian Rowan, and Gerald “Jerry” Davis] from The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
MED in in Education (Specialization areas: Educational Administration and Policy) from The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
MAT in in Education (NK-8) from The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
BA in Economics from The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Young, T., DiMartino, C. & Boggs, B. (2014/2015). Interest groups revisited. In Cooper, B. S., Cibulka, J. G., & Fusarelli, L. D. (Eds.). Handbook of Education Politics and Policy (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Jacobsen, R. & Young, T. (2013). The new politics of accountability: Research in retrospect and prospect. (link is external)Educational Policy, 27(2), 155-169. (See authors note on p. 169 that indicates authors contributed equally to this article.)
- Lewis & Young, T. (2013). The Politics of Teacher Accountability. (link is external) Educational Policy, 27(2), 190-216. (See authors note on p. 216 that indicates authors contributed equally to this article.
- Young, T. (2011). Teachers Unions in turbulent times: Maintaining Their Niche. (link is external)Peabody Journal of Education. 86(3), 338-351
- Opfer, V.D., Young, T. & Fusarelli, L.D. (2008). Politics of interest groups and advocacy coalitions in American education. (link is external) In B. Cooper, J. Cibulka & L. Fusarelli (Eds.), Handbook of education politics and policy (pp. 195-216). New York: Routledge.
- Young, T., & Wang, Y., Lewis, W.D. (accepted). Explaining how political actors gain strategic positions: Correlates of centrality in state reading policy issue networks. Educational Policy.
- Young, T., Lewis, W.D., & Sanders, M.S. (2010). Structural location and reputed Influence in state reading policy issue networks. (link is external) American Journal of Education, 117:25-49. doi: 10.1086/656345
- Young, T., Shepley, T.V. & Song, M. (2010). Agenda setting in state educational policy: An application of Kingdon’s multiple streams model. (link is external)Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 18(15).
- Song, M. & Young, T. (2008). Reading: policy, politics, and processes. (link is external) Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Young, T. & Miskel, C.G. (2006). Coalitions in state reading policy issue networks. In W. Hoy & C. Miskel (Eds.) Research and theory in educational administration (pp. 1-25). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Young, T.V. (2002). California reading policy: Problems, processes, and participants (CIERA Report). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement.
- Carraway J. & Young, T. (2015). Implementation of a District-Wide Policy to Improve Principals’ Instructional Leadership: Principals’ Sensemaking of the Skillful Observation and Coaching Laboratory (SOCL). Educational Policy.
- Young, T. & Lewis, W.D. (2015).Implementing Educational Policy Revisited. Educational Policy.
- Young, T. (2014). New Directions in Evaluation Based on Trends in Education. (link is external) AEA 365 Blog.
- ELP 780 Theory and Practice in Educational Evaluation
- ELP 795 Implementation Research and Evaluation in Education
- ELP 735 Policy Research in Education
- ED 710 (formerly ELP 742) Quantitative Research in Education (introductory)
- ED 711 Quantitative Research in Education (intermediate)
- ELP 891 Problems in Research Design