Associate Professor, Mathematics Education and Special Education
528G Poe Hall
Dr. Hunt is currently an Associate Professor of Mathematics Education and Special Education in the College of Education. She taught middle school and elementary school mathematics to all students yet came to love teaching students deemed to be at risk for mathematics difficulties or labeled as having disabilities.
Hunt contends that research and pedagogical practice for children with disabilities should begin from a respect for children's ways of knowing and learning. She argues that teaching based in learning theory that positions children's learning as adaptation advances reasoning, sense-making, and construction of meaning.
Dr. Hunt researches learner complexity in inclusive small group and one-on-one settings both inside and outside the contexts of schools. Her work examines issues of access and inequality in relation to how children with disabilities exhibit their thinking, the factors that influence learning, and how teachers can respond to the uniqueness of students’ implicit and explicit goals to facilitate negotiations of meaning. She also grounds her work in the policy and systems level issues that schools and teachers face today.
Her current project, "FAACT: Fraction Activities and Assessment for Conceptual Teaching", is funded by the National Science Foundation. Hunt received a CAREER Award for her work.
CAREER Project: https://research.ced.ncsu.edu/faact/
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jessica_Hunt3
Post-Doctoral study from The University of Texas at Austin in 2012
Ph.D. in Exceptional Education from the University of Central Florida in 2011
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Hunt, J.H., MacDonald, B., Lambert, R., Sugita, T., & Silva, J. (2018). Think, pair, show, share to increase classroom discourse. Teaching Children Mathematics (Focus Issue- Invited contribution), 25(2), 80-84.
- Lambert, Tan, Hunt, & Candella, A. (2018). Rehumanizing the mathematics education of students with disabilities: Critical perspectives on research and practice. Investigations in Mathematics Learning, 10(3), 129-132.
- Lynch, S., Hunt, J.H., & Lewis, K. (2018). Productive struggle for all: Differentiated instruction. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 24(4), 194-201.
- Hunt, J.H. & Tzur, R. (2017). Where is difference? Processes of mathematical remediation through a constructivist lens. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 48, 62-76.
- Hunt, J., Westenskow, A., & Moyer-Packenham, P. S. (2017). Variations of reasoning in equal sharing of children who experience low achievement in mathematics: Competence in context. Education Sciences, 7(1), 37.
- Throndsen, J., MacDonald, B., & Hunt, J.H. (2017). A kindergartener’s reasoning when developing cardinality of number. Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, 22(2), 21- 25.
- Hunt, J.H., *Welch-Ptak, J., & *Silva, J. (2016). Initial understandings of fraction concepts evidenced by students with learning disabilities and difficulties: A framework. Learning Disabilities Quarterly, 39(4), 213-225.
- Hunt, J.H., Tzur, R., & Westenskow, A. (2016). Evolution of unit fraction conceptions in two fifth-graders with learning disability: An exploratory study. Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 18(3), 182-208.
- Hunt, J.H., Westenskow, A., *Silva, J., & *Ptak, J.W. (2016). Levels of participatory conception of fractional quantity along a series of equal sharing tasks: Stu’s trajectory. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 41, 45-67.
- Hunt, J.H., *Valentine, C.A., Bryant, D.P., Pfannenstiel, K., & Bryant, B. (2016). Supplemental mathematics interventions: How and why special educators intensify interventions for students with learning disabilities. Remedial and Special Education, 37(2), 78-88.
- Tzur, R., & Hunt, J.H. (2015). Iteration: Unit fraction knowledge and the French fry tasks. Teaching Children Mathematics, 22(3), 149-157.
- Hunt, J.H. (2015). Understanding the diverse mathematical thinking of learners. Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, 20(2), 15-21.
- Hunt, J.H. and Empson, S. (2015). Exploratory student of informal strategies for equal sharing problems of students with learning disability. Learning Disabilities Quarterly, 38(4), 208-220.
- Hunt, J.H. (2015). Notions of equivalence through ratios: Students with and without learning disability. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 37, 94-105.
- Hunt, J.H. & Little, M.E. (2014). Intensifying interventions for students by identifying and remediating conceptual understandings in mathematics. Teaching Exceptional Children, 46(6), 187-196.
- Hunt, J.H. (2014). Effects of a supplemental intervention focused in equivalency concepts for students with varying abilities. Remedial and Special Education, 35(3), 135-144.
- Hunt, J.H., & Vasquez, E. (2013). An exploratory study of the effects of conceptual strategy intervention on knowledge of ratio equivalency for middle school students with mathematics learning disability. The Journal of Special Education, 47(3), 1-11.
- Hunt, J.H., Powell, S., Little, M.E., & Mike, A. (2013). The effects of e-mentoring on beginning teacher competencies and perceptions. Teacher Education and Special Education, 36(4), 286-297.
- Andreasen, J.A. & Hunt, J.H. (2012). Using math stations for common sense inclusiveness. Teaching Children Mathematics, 19(4), 238-246.
- Walker, Z. & Hunt, J.H. (2011). Teaching social skills to students with disabilities in middle school mathematics classrooms. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 17(5), 296-301.
- Hunt, J.H., & Andreasen, J.A. (2011). Beyond accommodations: Universal design for learning in mathematics. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 17(3),166-173.
- Hunt, J.H., & Hu, B. (2011). Theoretical factors affecting parental roles in children’s mathematical learning in American and Chinese born mothers. The School Community Journal, 21(2), 119-142.
- Hunt, J. (2010). Implementing effective co-teaching in middle school geometry. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 16(3), 154-161.
- ECI 682 Specific Numeracy Techniques for Students with Mild Disabilities
- ECI 585 Education of Children with Exceptionalities
Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award: Fraction Activities and Assessments for Conceptual Teaching
- Guest Associate Editor: Investigations in Mathematics Learning, Special Issue (Equity focus)
Services and Engagements
- Reviewer: Journal of Learning Disabilities
- Reviewer: Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
- Reviewer: Journal of Mathematical Behavior
- Reviewer: Remedial and Special Education
- Reviewer: Learning Disabilities Research and Practice
- Reviewer: Learning Disabilities Quarterly
- Reviewer: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Reviewer: Mathematical Thinking and Learning
- Reviewer: National Science Foundation, DRK-12 Competition
- Reviewer: National Science Foundation STEM+C Competition
- Reviewer: Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME)
- Member- Reframing Interventions Working Group, PME-NA (2016- present)
- Co-Founder and Member- Special Education Working Group, PME and PME-NA (2012- present)