Assistant Professor, Learning Design and Technology
Poe Hall 310-G
Dr. Jiang joined the program of Learning Design and Technology in 2019. She teaches graduate courses for the program, such as Data Visualization, Machine Learning, and Text Mining in Education . Prior to arriving at NC State, Dr. Jiang worked as a postdoctoral associate at Carnegie Mellon University.
Dr. Jiang’s research focuses on integrating digital literacy in STEM learning, such as empowering K-12 AI (Artificial Intelligence) education with narrative modeling (NSF Award # 1949110 and # 2241671). In addition, she designs and studies technology-enhanced interdisciplinary learning environments to facilitate the development of disciplinary identities and engage early adolescents in career exploration.
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Jiang, S. & Wang, C. * (accepted). Blurring the boundaries of current and future selves: Students’ STEM identity development in a multimodal composing learning environment. Learning, Media and Technology.
- Jiang, S., Huang, J., & Lee, H. (accepted). Unpacking the complexities and nuances of technology-supported learning processes: Visualizing qualitative data. Educational Technology Research and Development.
- Jiang, S., Tang, H., Tatar, C. *, Rosé, C, & Chao, J. (in press). High school students’ data modelling practices: From modeling unstructured data to evaluating automated decisions. Learning, Media and Technology.
- Jiang, S. (in press). Towards broadening participation: Investigating adolescents’ participation trajectories in a collaborative multimodal composing learning environment. Educational Technology & Society.
- Jiang, S., Lee, V. R., & Rosenberg, J. M. (2022). Data science education across the disciplines: Underexamined opportunities for K‐12 innovation. British Journal of Educational Technology, 53(5), 1073-1079.
- Jiang, S., Huang, X., Sung, S. H., & Xie, C. (2022). Learning analytics for assessing hands-on laboratory skills in science classrooms using Bayesian network analysis. Research in Science Education, 1-20.
- Jiang, S., Nocera, A., Tatar, C. *, Yoder, M. M. *, Chao, J., Wiedemann, K., … & Rosé, C. P. (2022). An empirical analysis of high school students’ practices of modelling with unstructured data. British Journal of Educational Technology, 53(5), 1114-1133.
- Jiang, S. & Kahn, J. (2020). Data wrangling practices and collaborative interactions with aggregated data. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning. 1-25.
- ECI 587 Machine Learning in Education
- ECI 588 Text Mining in Education
- ECI 519 Data Visualization in Education
- ECI 709 Learning Sciences Seminar
- ECI 893 Doctoral Supervised Research
- ECI 510 Research Applications in Curriculum and Instruction
Services and Engagements
- Dr. Jiang is an editorial board member for the Journal of Science Education and Technology; a reviewer for journals (e.g., computers & education), NSF programs (e.g., ITEST), and conferences (e.g., ISLS and AERA).
Ph.D. Teaching and Learning (Specialization in Technology-enhanced STEM Education) the University of Miami 2018
Area(s) of Expertise
Dr. Jiang’s research focuses on integrating digital literacy in STEM learning, such as empowering K-12 AI (Artificial Intelligence) education with narrative modeling (NSF Award # 1949110). In addition, she designs and studies technology-enhanced learning environments to facilitate the development of disciplinary identities and engage early adolescents in career exploration.