Dr. Jiang joined the program of Learning Design and Technology in 2019. She teaches graduate courses for the program, such as Data Visualization in Education. Prior to arriving at NC State, Dr. Jiang worked as a postdoctoral associate at Carnegie Mellon University.
Dr. Jiang’s research focuses on integrating digital literacy in STEM learning, such as empowering K-12 AI (Artificial Intelligence) education with narrative modeling (NSF Award # 1949110). In addition, she designs and studies technology-enhanced learning environments to facilitate the development of disciplinary identities and engage early adolescents in career exploration.
Ph.D. in Teaching and Learning (Specialization in Technology-enhanced STEM Education) from the University of Miami in 2018
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Jiang, S., Shen, J., Smith, B. E., & Kibler, K. (accepted). Science identity development: How multimodal composition mediates role-taking as scientist in a media-rich learning environment. Educational Technology Research and Development.
- Jiang, S. & Kahn, J. (accepted). Data wrangling practices and collaborative interactions with aggregated data. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning.
- Jiang, S., Yang, K., Suvarna, C., Casula, P., Zhang, M., & Rosé, C. (2019). Applying Rhetorical Structure Theory to Student Essays for Providing Automated Writing Feedback. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Discourse Relation Parsing and Treebanking 2019 (pp. 163-168).
- Jiang, S., Shen, J., & Smith, B. E. (2019). Designing discipline-specific roles for interdisciplinary learning: two comparative cases in an afterschool STEM+ L programme. International Journal of Science Education, 1-24.
- Jiang, S., Smith, B. E., & Shen, J. (2019). Examining how different modes mediate adolescents’ interactions during their collaborative multimodal composing processes. Interactive Learning Environments, 1-14.
- Chen, G., Shen, J., Barth-Cohen, L., Jiang, S., Huang, X., Eltoukhy, M. (2017). Assessing elementary students' computational thinking in everyday reasoning and robotics programming. Computer & Education, 109, 162-175.
- ECI 519 Data Visualization in Education
- ECI 510 Research Applications in Curriculum and Instruction
- ECI 893 Doctoral Supervised Research
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Jiang was selected to the Early Career Workshop at CSCL in 2019.
Services and Engagements
- Dr. Jiang is a reviewer for journals (e.g., computers & education), NSF programs (e.g., ITEST), and conferences (e.g., AERA).