Dr. Jiang joined the program of Learning Design and Technology in 2019. She teaches graduate courses for the program, such as Data Visualization in Education. Prior to arriving at NC State, Dr. Jiang worked as a postdoctoral associate at Carnegie Mellon University.
Dr. Jiang’s research focuses on integrating digital literacy in STEM learning, which includes integrating multimodal composition in science learning and integrating storytelling with data visualizations in math learning. In addition, she designs and studies technology-enhanced learning environments to facilitate the development of disciplinary identities and engage early adolescents in career exploration.
Ph.D. in Teaching and Learning (Specialization in Technology-enhanced STEM Education) from the University of Miami in 2018
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Jiang, S., Shen, J., & Smith, B. E. (2019). Designing discipline-specific roles for interdisciplinary learning: two comparative cases in an afterschool STEM+ L programme. International Journal of Science Education, 1-24.
- Jiang, S., Smith, B. E., & Shen, J. (2019). Examining how different modes mediate adolescents’ interactions during their collaborative multimodal composing processes. Interactive Learning Environments, 1-14.
- Jiang, S. & Kahn, J. (2019; nominee of best paper). Data wrangling practices and processes in modeling family migration narratives with big data visualization technologies. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL), Lyon, France.
- Jiang, S., Yang, K., Suvarna, C., Casula, P., Zhang, M., & Rosé, C. (2019). Applying Rhetorical Structure Theory to Student Essays for Providing Automated Writing Feedback. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Discourse Relation Parsing and Treebanking 2019 (pp. 163-168).
- Jiang, S., Shen, J., Smith, B., & Kibler, K. (2018). Examining science identity development in disciplinary role-taking multimodal composing environment. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS), London, UK.
- Chen, G., Shen, J., Barth-Cohen, L., Jiang, S., Huang, X., Eltoukhy, M. (2017). Assessing elementary students' computational thinking in everyday reasoning and robotics programming. Computer & Education, 109, 162-175.
- ECI 519 Data Visualization in Education
- ECI 893 Doctoral Supervised Research
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Jiang was selected to the Early Career Workshop at CSCL in 2019.
Services and Engagements
- Dr. Jiang is a reviewer for journals (e.g., computers & education), NSF programs (e.g., ITEST), and conferences (e.g., AERA).