Dr. Little is a native North Carolinian. After attending public schools in Charlotte he went to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) to pursue his undergraduate degree in Public Policy, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa and with honors. From there, Michael worked for two years as a Research Analyst at RTI International. Realizing he wanted to design and conduct his own research projects, he returned to UNC to pursue his PhD in Education, where we was a member of the Royster Society of Fellows. Prior to joining the faculty at NC State, Dr. Little was a Researcher at the American Institutes of Research (AIR). While at AIR, he worked on a range of studies for federal and state governments and foundations.
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Cohen-Vogel, L., Little, M., Sadler, J., Merrill, B. (in press). (Mis)alignment of instructional supports in pre-k and kindergarten: Evidence from North Carolina. Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
- Little, M. (2017). School-based kindergarten transition practices and child outcomes: Revisiting the issue. Elementary School Journal, 18(2) 335-356.
- Little, M. (2017). Racial and socioeconomic gaps in executive function skills in early elementary school: Nationally representative evidence from the ECLS-K:2011. Educational Researcher, 46(2), 103-109.
- Little, M. (2016) Measuring more: Schools, teachers, and the development of kindergartners executive function skills. AERA Open, 2(3), 1-14.
- ED 756 Scholar Leader: Systemic Change in Education
Honors and Awards
- David L. Clark National Graduate Student Research Seminar in K-12 Education Educational Administration and Policy (2018), American Educational Research Association.
- Five-Year Royster Society of Fellows Doctoral Fellowship (2015), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Phi Beta Kappa (2013), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Best Undergraduate Thesis Award (2013), Department of Public Policy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Ph.D. Education Leadership, Policy, and School Improvement The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2018
B.A. Public Policy The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2013
Area(s) of Expertise
Dr. Little studies early childhood and early grade education policy. His work aims to achieve the goal of equity in early childhood education so that all children begin their educational careers on solid ground. To achieve this goal, he conducts research that helps us to understand how to build a coherent and aligned system of early education that seamlessly bridges the Pre-K and early elementary grades. This area of research is often called "Pre-K through Third" or "P-3" education research.