Dr. Oliver has served on the faculty in NC State's College of Education since 2005, and was promoted to full Professor in 2017. He teaches and provides mentorship to both undergraduate and graduate students in four different Learning, Design, and Technology (LDT) program areas (undergraduate, master's, doctoral, graduate certificate in learning analytics). He serves as current Program Coordinator for LDT undergraduate, doctoral, and learning analytics certificate programs, and was past Coordinator for LDT master's programs. He serves in a current supplemental administrative role for the College of Education as Coordinator for Distance Education and Remote Learning Initiatives. Prior to arriving at NC State, Dr. Oliver served as Co-Director of the Southeast Initiatives Regional Technology in Education Consortium (SEIRTEC), a grant program of the SERVE Regional Education Lab (REL) providing technical assistance to technology divisions within six southeastern state departments of education (2002-2004). He also served as an Instructional Design and Evaluation Specialist with the Educational Technologies faculty development group at Virginia Tech (1999-2002).
Dr. Oliver's research examines how to promote student acquisition of cultural and scientific outcomes in technology-rich distant (online/abroad) and informal learning settings. He has received more than $3 million in externally funded grants and contracts as PI or Co-PI. He is currently serving as PI on a Burroughs-Wellcome Fund grant to seed programmed robotics activities into new school makerspaces in the four-county Piedmont Unifour region of NC (2020-2022, $177k), and co-PI on a National Science Foundation STEM+C grant to build problem solving and computational thinking skills among elementary students through a storytelling platform with combined coded/digital and fabricated/physical elements (2019-2022, $1.6 million). He serves as PI on a recurring annual award from the Triangle Community Foundation's Borchardt Fund to offer summer in-service teacher professional development programs in an international context focused on learning strategies for developing cultural connection and understanding through technology (2011-present, $60k/yr).
Ph.D. in Instructional Technology from University of Georgia in 1999
M.Ed. in Educational Media & Instructional Design from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1993
B.S. in Communications-Advertising from University of Tennessee in 1990
- Doctoral: Learning Design and Technology
- Master: Learning Design and Technology
- Applied Education Studies: Learning Design and Technology
- Program: Learning Analytics
Selected Scholarly Publications
- ECI 513 Teaching and Learning with Digital Video
- ECI 515 Cultural Investigations and Technical Representations in Education
- ECI 721 Technology and Informal Learning Environments
- ECI 722 Theory and Research in Distance Education
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Oliver has earned two fellowships: Friday Fellow (2013), and i3@UNC Faculty Fellow (2014). He received NC State's Outstanding Extension Service Award in 2016, and he is an inductee into NC State's Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension (AOFEE). He received the College of Education's Global Engagement Award in 2017, 2018, and 2019 and was nominated for the same award at the university level. He was a finalist for the university's Graduate Faculty Mentor Award in 2018. He received the university's 2015 Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching & Learning with Technology. He He has received outstanding paper awards from the professional organizations AECT (2020) and AACE (Ed-Media, 2018).
- Educational Technology Research & Development
- Journal of Digital Learning & Teaching
- Journal of Online Learning Research