Dr. Oliver has served on the faculty in NC State's College of Education since 2005. He teaches online courses for the Learning Design and Technology master's and doctoral programs. Prior to arriving at NC State, Dr. Oliver served as Co-Director of the Southeast Initiatives Regional Technology in Education Consortium (SEIRTEC), a grant program of the SERVE Regional Education Lab (REL), and also as Evaluation Specialist with the Educational Technologies faculty development group at Virginia Tech.
Dr. Oliver's research examines how to promote student acquisition of cultural and scientific outcomes in technology-rich distant (online/abroad) and informal learning settings. He is currently serving as PI on a Burroughs-Wellcome Fund grant to seed programmed robotics activities into new school makerspaces in the four-county Piedmont Unifour region of NC (2020-2022, $177k), and co-PI on a National Science Foundation STEM+C grant to build problem solving and computational thinking skills among elementary students through a storytelling platform with combined coded/digital and fabricated/physical elements (2019-2022, $1.6 million). He serves as PI on a recurring annual award from the Triangle Community Foundation's Borchardt Fund to offer summer in-service teacher professional development programs in an international context focused on learning strategies for developing cultural connection and understanding through technology (2011-present, $60k/yr).
Ph.D. in Instructional Technology from University of Georgia in 1999
M.Ed. in Educational Media & Instructional Design from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1993
B.S. in Communications-Advertising from University of Tennessee in 1990
Selected Scholarly Publications
- ECI 513 Teaching and Learning with Digital Video
- ECI 515 Technology, Media, and Culture
- ECI 721 Technology and Informal Learning Environments
- ECI 722 Theory and Research in Distance Education
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Oliver has earned two fellowships: Friday Fellow (2013), and i3@UNC Faculty Fellow (2014). He received the university's 2015 Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching & Learning with Technology.
- Educational Technology Research & Development
- Journal of Digital Learning & Teaching
- Journal of Online Learning Research
Services and Engagements
- Dr. Oliver received NC State's Outstanding Extension Service Award in 2016, and he is an inductee into NC State's Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension (AOFEE).