Dr. Oliver has served on the faculty in NC State's College of Education since 2005. He teaches online courses for the Learning Design and Technology master's and doctoral programs. Prior to arriving at NC State, Dr. Oliver served as Co-Director of the Southeast Initiatives Regional Technology in Education Consortium (SEIRTEC), a grant program of the SERVE Regional Education Lab (REL), and also as Evaluation Specialist with the Educational Technologies faculty development group at Virginia Tech.
Dr. Oliver's primary line of research examines online/distance-learning pedagogy with implications for instructional design and policy. He has conducted research on a variety of online/distance learning environments: massively open online courses (MOOCs), K-12 virtual schools, online case-based/primary source repositories, and online communities.
Ph.D. in Instructional Technology from University of Georgia in 1999
M.Ed. in Educational Media & Instructional Design from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1993
B.S. in Communications-Advertising from University of Tennessee in 1990
- ECI 513 Teaching and Learning with Digital Video
- ECI 515 Online Collaborations in Education
- ECI 519 Special Topics (Study Abroad): Cultural Connections, Collections, and Reflections with Technology
- ECI 721 Technology and Informal Learning Environments
- ECI 722 Theory and Research in Distance Education
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Oliver has earned two fellowships: Friday Fellow (2013), and i3@UNC Faculty Fellow (2014). He received the university's 2015 Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching & Learning with Technology.
- Educational Technology Research & Development
- Journal of Digital Learning & Teaching
- Journal of Online Learning Research
Services and Engagements
- Dr. Oliver received NC State's Outstanding Extension Service Award in 2016, and he is an inductee into NC State's Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension (AOFEE).
- Computers and Learning
- Curriculum & Instructional Design
- Distance & Online Education
- Instructional Design
- Instructional Development
- Instructional Technology
- Learning & Cognition
- Learning Environments
- Learning Processes
- Learning Sciences
- Learning Strategies
- Online Teaching & Learning
- Writing & Technology Integration