Professor Nietfeld is a member of the Teacher Education and Learning Sciences Department. His current research emphasis falls within self-regulated learning (SRL) and metacognition. He has conducted a number of studies investigating how students monitor their behavior on cognitive tasks and is particularly interested in the extent to which training within classroom contexts (K-12 through college) can facilitate more accurate monitoring of performance and strategy use. Currently, he is working on a game-based learning program called Missions with Monty that will facilitate and scaffold SRL skills for upper elementary school students in science.
Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
M.A. in Educational Psychology from The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
B.A., in Psychology from Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Pesout, O., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2021). How creative am I?: Examining judgments and predictors of creative performance. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 40, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2021.100836
- Spencer, D., Nietfeld, J. L., Cao, L., & DiFrancesca (2021). Exploring the interplay between attributions and metacognitive monitoring in a post-secondary classroom. Journal of Experimental Education, DOI: 10.1080/00220973.2021.1897773.
- Syal, S., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2020). The impact of trace data and motivational self-reports in a game-based learning environment. Computers & Education, 157, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2020.103978.
- Pesout, O., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2020). The impact of cooperation and competition on metacognitive monitoring and performance in a classroom context. Journal of Experimental Education, 89(2), 237-258.
- Nietfeld, J. L. (2020). Predicting transfer from a game-based learning environment. Computers & Education. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2019.103780.
- Eyupoglu, T. F., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2020). Intrinsic motivation in game-based learning environments. In D. Ifenthaler & YJ Kim (Eds.), Game-based assessment revisited (pp. 85-102). Springer.
- Nietfeld, J. L. (2018). The role of self-regulated learning in digital games. In D. Schunk & J. Greene (Eds.), Handbook of Self-Regulation of Learning and Performance (2nd ed., pp. 271-284). Routledge, New York, NY.
- Braten, I., Lien, A., Nietfeld, J. L. (2017). Examining the effects of task instructions to induce implicit theories of intelligence on a rational thinking test: A cross-cultural study. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225, 146-156.
- Di Francesca, D., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2017). Using Metacognitive Scaffolding to Develop Problem Solving Skills in K-12 Computer-Based Learning Environments. In J. A. González-Pienda, J. C. Núñez, A. Bernardo, & C. Rodríguez (Eds.), Factors affecting academic performance (pp. 81-99). Nova Science Publishers, NY.
- DiFrancesca, D., Nietfeld, J. L., & Cao, L. (2016). A mixed methods comparison of high and low achieving students on self-regulated learning variables. Learning and Individual Differences, 45, 228-236.
- Nietfeld, J. L., Bruning, R. B., & DiFrancesca, D. (2015). The role of observation in the recall of informational text. International Journal of Educational Research, 69, 88-97.
- Nietfeld, J. L., Shores, L. R., & Hoffmann, K. F. (2014). Self-regulation and gender within a game-based learning environment, Journal of Educational Psychology, 106, 961-973.
- Hargrove, R. A., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2014). The impact of metacognitive instruction on creative problem solving. Journal of Experimental Education, 83, 291-318.
- Lester, J. C., Spires, H. A., Nietfeld, J. L., Minogue, J. Mott, B. W., Lobene, E. V. (2014). Designing game-based learning environments for elementary science education: A narrative-centered learning perspective, Information Sciences, 264, 4-18.
- Flanagan, K. E., Nietfeld, J. L., & Linnenbrink-Garcia, L. (2011). Giftedness and metacognition: A short-term longitudinal investigation of metacognitive monitoring in the classroom, Gifted Child Quarterly, 55, 181-193.
- Nietfeld, J. L., & Shores, L. R. (2011). Self-regulation within game-based learning environments. In L. Annetta & S. Bronack (Eds.), Serious educational game assessment (pp. 19-42). The Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Wery, J., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2010). Supporting self-regulated learning with exceptional children, Teaching Exceptional Children, 42, 70-78.
- Huff, J. D., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2009). Using strategy instruction and confidence judgments to improve metacognitive monitoring skills. Metacognition and Learning, 4, 161-176.
- Hoffmann, K. F., Huff, J. D., Patterson, A. S., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2009). Elementary teachers’ use and perceptions of rewards in the classroom. Teaching and Teacher Education, 25, 843-849.
- Nietfeld, J. L., Finney, S. J., Schraw, G., & McCrudden, M. T. (2007). A test of theoretical models that account for information processing demands. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 32, 499-515.
- Cao, L., & Nietfeld, J. L. (2007). College students’ metacognitive awareness of difficulties in learning the class content does not automatically lead to adjustment of study strategies. Australian Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 7, 31-46.
- Nietfeld, J. L., Cao, L., & Osborne, J. W. (2006). The effect of distributed monitoring exercises and feedback on performance and monitoring accuracy. Metacognition and Learning, 2, 159-179.
- Nietfeld, J. L., Enders, C. K., & Schraw, G. (2006). A Monte Carlo comparison of two measures of monitoring accuracy. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 66, 258-271.
- Nietfeld, J. L., Cao, L., & Osborne, J. W. (2005). Metacognitive monitoring accuracy and student performance in the classroom. Journal of Experimental Education, 74, 7-28.
- Nietfeld, J. L. (2003). An examination of metacognitive strategy use and monitoring skills by competitive middle distance runners. The Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 15, 307-320.
- Nietfeld, J. L., & Schraw, G. (2002). The role of knowledge and strategy training on metacognitive monitoring. The Journal of Educational Research, 95, 131-142.
- Schraw, G., & Nietfeld, J. (1998). A further test of the general monitoring skill hypothesis. Journal of Educational Psychology, 90, 236-248.
- EDP 304 Educational Psychology
- EDP 504 Advanced Educational Psychology
- EDP 560 Educational Testing and Measurement
- ECI 709 Metacognition and Learning
- EDP 723 Motivation in Education
- ECI 709 Self-Regulated Learning
- ECI 709 Creativity and Critical Thinking
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Fulbright Core Teaching and Research Scholar Award (Estonia)
- Metacognition and Learning
- Journal of Experimental Education