Dr. Duane Akroyd has a Bachelor’s degree in Radiologic Science from the Georgia Health Sciences University, a M.S. in Health Sciences Education from the State University of New York at Buffalo and a Ph.D. from Southern Illinois University in Occupational Education with a concentration in Higher Education. He started his academic career as a community college faculty member and before coming to NC State he was Chair of the Department of Medical Imaging Education at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Dr. Akroyd's research has focused on a variety of workplace and behavioral variables and their ability to predict employee’s satisfaction, organizational commitment and burnout. He has concentrated his research on community college faculty (both full and part time) and health professionals (both practitioners and faculty). He has also examined supply, distribution and policy issues in the health professions education and the use of technology by community college faculty.
Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Science from Georgia Health Sciences University
Master of Science in Health Sciences Education from State University of New York at Buffalo
Doctor of Philosophy in Occupational Education with a concentration in Higher Education from Southern Illinois University
- Master: Adult and Community College Education Program
- Doctoral: Adult, Workforce, and Continuing Professional Education
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Coniglio, D, & Akroyd, D. (2015). Factors predicting Physician Assistant faculty intent to leave. Journal of Physician Assistant Education, 26, 113-122.
- Akroyd, D. & Engle, D. (2014). An examination of the levels and differences in organizational commitment of full and part-time community college faculty. Journal of Modern Education Review, 4(8), 870-877.
- Lyons, F. & Akroyd, D. (2014). The impact of human capital and selected job rewards on community college faculty satisfaction. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 38, 1-14.
- Akroyd, D., Patton, B., & Bracken, S. (2013). Factors that predict full-time community college faculty engagement in online instruction. Journal of Community College Research and Practice, 37, 185-195.
- Akroyd, D., Bracken, S., & Chambers, C. (2011). A comparison of factors that predict the satisfaction of community college faculty by gender. Journal of the Professoriate, 4, 75-95.
- Legg, J., Akroyd, D., & Jackowski, M. (2010). Radiographer perceptions of supervisor leadership. Radiology Management, 32, 28-39.
- Jackowski, M., Akroyd, D. (2010). Technology usage among community college faculty. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 34, 624-644.
- Akroyd, D., Jackowski, M., Legg, J., & Adams, R. (2009). The Impact of Selected Organizational Variables and Managerial Leadership on Radiation Therapists' Organizational Commitment, Radiography, 15, 113-120.
- Akroyd, D., Bamberg, R., & Moore, T. (2008). Factors that Impact Clinical Laboratory Scientists Commitment to Their Work Organizations, Journal of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 21, 167-174.
- EAC 532 Health Care Delivery Systems and Environments
- EAC 536 Issues and Trends in Education for the Health Professions
- EAC 560 Assessment and Evaluation in Adult and Higher Education (online)
- EAC 700 Community College and Two-Year Postsecondary Education (online)
- EAC 716 The History of Higher Education
- EAC 720 Use of Secondary Data in Adult and Higher Education
- EAC 803 Research Seminar in Adult and Higher Education