Professor of Learning, Design and Technology
Dr. Florence Martin is a Professor in Learning, Design and Technology at North Carolina State University. She received her Doctorate and Master’s degrees in Educational Technology from Arizona State University. Prior to her current position, she was a Full Professor at University of North Carolina Charlotte and a tenured Associate Professor at University of North Carolina Wilmington for 15 years. She has worked on instructional design projects for Shoolini University, Viridis Learning, Maricopa Community College District, University of Phoenix, Intel, Cisco Learning Institute, and Arizona State University and taught online for Walden University. She teaches courses on Learning, Design and Technology 100% online and has received Quality Matters Certification for nine of her courses. While at UNC Charlotte, she developed the Post-Masters Certificate in University and College Teaching, Ed.D., and PhD. Learning Design and Technology concentrations and led efforts to receive program level quality matters certification.
Dr. Martin engages in research to create transformative learning experiences through effective design and integration of digital teaching and learning innovations. In recent years, she has researched on the design of digital and online learning environments, and cybersecurity education. She has published the results of her research in several leading journals in the field of instructional technology including Educational Technology Research and Development, Computers and Education, British Journal of Educational Technology, Internet and Higher Education, Educational Research Review, American Journal of Distance Education and Educational Technology & Society. She has received over 2 million dollars in funding from the National Science Foundation for her research. Her research has resulted in over 115 publications and 175 presentations.
Dr. Martin was a fellow with the Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning (IELOL) in Summer 2016 which is a unique blended-learning leadership development program sponsored by Penn State and the Online Learning Consortium. Dr. Martin served as the President of Multimedia Production Division in 2012-2013 and as the President of the Division of Distance Learning in 2017-2018 for Association for Educational Communications and Technology. She also served as the Vice President for Marketing and Communications with ISPI Charlotte and as Director-at-Large for International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction. She is currently serving as the AERA Division C Section Chair for Engineering and Computer Science, and on the board for North Carolina Virtual Public Schools and as a Senior Associate Editor for Online Learning Journal. She has won awards for teaching, research and service from Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), Online Learning Consortium (OLC), United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), and Professional, Continuing and Online Education Association (UPCEA).
Doctor of Philosophy Educational Technology Arizona State University 2005
Master of Education Educational Technology Arizona State University 2003
Bachelor of Engineering Electronics and Communication Bharathiyar University 2000
Area(s) of Expertise
Educational Technology; Online and Digital Learning; Cybersecurity Education
- A Systematic Review of Research on Online Learner Collaboration from 2012-21: Collaboration Technologies, Design, Facilitation, and Outcomes , ONLINE LEARNING (2023)
- Bichronous online learning: Award-winning online instructor practices of blending asynchronous and synchronous online modalities , INTERNET AND HIGHER EDUCATION (2023)
- Establishing a Student Evaluation of Online Teaching and Learning Framework Through Analysis of Existing Instruments , ONLINE LEARNING (2023)
- What type of paper are you writing? A taxonomy of review and theory scholarship distinguished by their summary and advocacy arguments , ETR&D-EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT (2023)
- A Meta-Analysis on the Community of Inquiry Presences and Learning Outcomes in Online and Blended Learning Environments , Online Learning (2022)
- An Overview of the Competencies and Career Outcomes in Educational Technology , The Instructional Design Trainer's Guide (2022)
- Creating a Safer Digital World for Elementary Learner: Lessons Learned from Elementary Educators , Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (2022)
- Design Patterns in Instructors' Modeling of Class Sessions Using Lesson Blueprints , American Educational Research Association (2022)
- Designing Online Learning in Higher Education , Handbook of Open, Distance and Digital Education (2022)
- Developing Online Professional Development for High School Teachers to Teach Computer Science Online , Proceedings of the 27th ACM Conference on on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education Vol. 2 (2022)
Honors and Awards
- The Mildred B. and Charles A. Wedemeyer Award for Outstanding Writer/Scholar in Distance Education, UPCEA 2023, Systematic Review of Accessibility in Online Courses
- Cato College of Education Distinguished Faculty Award, 2022, University of North Carolina Charlotte