- Hoggan-Kloubert, T., Mabrey, P., & Hoggan, C. (Eds.) (2023). Transformative Civic Education in Democratic Societies. Michigan State University Press.
- Hoggan, C. & Hoggan-Kloubert, T. (Eds.). (2021). Adult learning in a migration society. Routledge.
- Hoggan, C., & Browning, B. (2019). Transformational learning in community colleges: Charting a course for academic and personal success. Harvard Education Press. *** Winner of the Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education (2020) ***
- Hoggan, C., Simpson, S., & Stuckey, H. (Eds.). (2009). Creative expression in transformative learning: Tools and techniques for educators of adults. Krieger Publishing.
- The Adult Learner (masters) / Adult Learning Theory (doctoral)
- Learning for Civic Engagement and Social Change (masters)
- Transformative Learning Theory (doctoral)
- International Comparative Adult Education (masters)
- Organizational Change (doctoral)
- Co-editor, Journal of Transformative Education (2016-present)
- Consulting Editor, Adult Education Quarterly (2015-present)
- UNESCO Chair of Lifelong Learning Professional Education in the XXI Century, National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences in Ukraine (2021-present)
- Consulting Editor, Adult Education Critical Issues (2021-present)
Doctor of Education Adult Learning & Leadership Teachers College, Columbia University 2011
Master of Education Adult Education NC State University 2006
Bachelor of Science Business Administration Brigham Young University 1993
Area(s) of Expertise
Dr. Hoggan is an Associate Professor in the Educational Leadership, Policy and Human Development Department. His research addresses transformative learning, or those experiences that dramatically affect how people experience, conceptualize, and interact with the world around them. He has studied transformative learning with a wide range of research participants, including postsecondary and graduate students, cancer survivors, military veterans, and migrants.
Since 2019, Dr. Hoggan has been extensively involved in research and engagement projects in Central and Eastern Europe, including research on the learning needs of migrants and the receiving society in the wake of the influx of refugees from Syria (2015) and Ukraine (2022). In 2019-2021, He was a visiting professor at the Zentrum Flucht und Migration (Center for Flight and Migration) at the Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt University (Germany). He is a founding member of the Deutsch-Ukrainischer Dialog association, which facilitates support for Ukrainian refugees in southern Germany, as well as the integration between refugees and the local community.
Emanating from this work with migrants and their host communities is a key contemporary focus of Dr. Hoggan's work: civic learning in adulthood. An Editorial Board Member of the UNESCO Chair of Lifelong Learning in Kyiv, Ukraine, Dr. Hoggan delivers regular lectures on "Learning for Democracy" to four participating Ukrainian universities. He is also Co-director of the "Institute of Civic Studies and Learning for Democracy."
- Critiques and evolutions of transformative learning theory , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LIFELONG EDUCATION (2023)
- Living Democracy: Social Structures that Promote Civic Learning , ADULT LEARNING (2023)
- The Ethics of Radical and Transformative Education , ADULT EDUCATION QUARTERLY (2023)
- Language, identity, & social equity: educational responses to dialect hegemony , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LIFELONG EDUCATION (2022)
- Post-Truth as an Epistemic Crisis: The Need for Rationality, Autonomy, and Pluralism , ADULT EDUCATION QUARTERLY (2022)
- Adult Learning in a Migration Society , Routledge (2021)
- Editor's Note: Transformative Education Throughout the Life Span , JOURNAL OF TRANSFORMATIVE EDUCATION (2021)
- Helping Underprepared Students Succeed: Minimizing Threats to Identity , COMMUNITY COLLEGE JOURNAL OF RESEARCH AND PRACTICE (2021)
- Migrants and the Labor Market The Role and Tasks of Adult Education , ADULT LEARNING (2021)
- Defining and Analyzing Transformative Learning , Labor et Educatio (2020)