Selected Scholarly Publications
- Hoggan, C., & Browning, B. (2019). Transformational learning and community colleges: Charting a course for academic and personal success. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.
- Hoggan, C. & Kloubert, T. (2020). Transformative learning in theory and practice. Adult Education Quarterly, 70(3), 295-307.
- Hoggan, C. “Transformative Learning” in Oxford Bibliographies in Education. Ed. Anne Hynds. Oxford University Press.
- Hoggan, C., Mälkki, K., & Finnegan, F. (2017). Developing the theory of perspective transformation: Continuity, intersubjectivity, and emancipatory praxis. Adult Education Quarterly, 67(1), 48-64. doi: 10.1177/0741713616674076
- Hoggan, C. (2016). A typology of transformation: Reviewing the transformative learning literature. Studies in the Education of Adults, 48(1), 65-82. doi: 10.1080/02660830.2016.1155849
- Hoggan, C. (2016). Transformative learning as a metatheory: Definition, criteria, and typology. Adult Education Quarterly, 66(1), 57-75. doi: 10.1177/0741713615611216
- EAC 559 The Adult Learner
- EAC 759 Adult Learning Theory
- EAC 743 Adult Development Theory
- EAC 538 Instructional Strategies in Adult & Higher Education
Honors and Awards
- Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, 2020, for Transformational Learning in Community College: Charting a Course for Academic and Personal Success, Harvard Education Press.
- President’s Appreciation Award for Exemplary Commitment and Service to AAACE, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, 2015.
- Jack Mezirow Living Theory of Transformative Learning Award, Honorable Mention, International Transformative Learning Conference, 2014.
- Co-editor, Journal of Transformative Education (2016-present)
- Consulting Editor, Adult Education Quarterly (2015-present)
- Consulting Editor, Adult Education Critical Issues
Doctor of Education Adult Learning & Leadership Teachers College, Columbia University
Master of Education Adult Education NC State University
Bachelor of Science Business Administration Brigham Young University
Area(s) of Expertise
Dr. Hoggan is an Associate Professor in the Educational Leadership, Policy and Human Development Department. His research involves transformative learning, or those experiences that dramatically affect how people see themselves and the world around them. He has studied transformative learning with a wide range of research participants, ranging from postsecondary and graduate students to breast cancer survivors to military veterans and migrants. Based on this and other research, he developed a Typology of Transformative Learning Outcomes and other analytic tools to aid scholars in understanding and researching transformative learning.
- Critiques and evolutions of transformative learning theory , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LIFELONG EDUCATION (2023)
- Language, identity, & social equity: educational responses to dialect hegemony , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LIFELONG EDUCATION (2022)
- Post-Truth as an Epistemic Crisis: The Need for Rationality, Autonomy, and Pluralism , ADULT EDUCATION QUARTERLY (2022)
- Editor's Note: Transformative Education Throughout the Life Span , JOURNAL OF TRANSFORMATIVE EDUCATION (2021)
- Migrants and the Labor Market The Role and Tasks of Adult Education , ADULT LEARNING (2021)
- Defining and Analyzing Transformative Learning , Labor et Educatio (2020)
- Editor's Preface: Striving to Build a Better World , JOURNAL OF TRANSFORMATIVE EDUCATION (2020)
- Helping Underprepared Students Succeed: Minimizing Threats to Identity , COMMUNITY COLLEGE JOURNAL OF RESEARCH AND PRACTICE (2020)
- Mentoring in Adult Education: A Tribute to Patricia Cranton , New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education (2020)
- Transformative Learning , Education (2020)