Dr. Hoggan is an Associate Professor in the Educational Leadership, Policy and Human Development Department. His research involves transformative learning, or those experiences that dramatically affect how people see themselves and the world around them. He has studied transformative learning with a wide range of research participants, ranging from postsecondary and graduate students to breast cancer survivors to military veterans. Based on this and other research, he developed a Typology of Transformative Learning Outcomes and other analytic tools to aid scholars in understanding and researching transformative learning.
Doctor of Education in Adult Learning & Leadership from Teachers College, Columbia University
Master of Education in Adult Education from NC State University
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Brigham Young University
- Doctoral: Adult, Workforce, and Continuing Professional Education
- Master: Adult and Community College Education Program
- Certificate: Teaching, Training, & Educational Technology
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Hoggan, C., Mälkki, K., & Finnegan, F. (2017). Developing the theory of perspective transformation: Continuity, intersubjectivity, and emancipatory praxis. Adult Education Quarterly, 67(1), 48-64. doi: 10.1177/0741713616674076.
- Hoggan, C. (2016). Transformative learning as a metatheory: Definition, criteria, and typology. Adult Education Quarterly, 66(1), 57-75. doi: 10.1177/0741713615611216
- Hoggan, C. (2016). Exercising clarity with transformative learning theory. In M. Milana, J. Holford, S. Webb, P. Jarvis, & R. Waller (Eds.), Handbook of Adult and Lifelong Education and Learning. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Mayhew, M., Hoggan, C., Rockenbach, A., & Lo, M. (2016). The association between worldview climate dimensions and college students’ perceptions of transformational learning. The Journal of Higher Education, 87(5), 674-700. doi: 10.1353/jhe.2016.0026
- Hoggan, C. (2016). A typology of transformation: Reviewing the transformative learning literature. Studies in the Education of Adults, 48(1), 65-82. doi: 10.1080/02660830.2016.1155849
- Hoggan, C. (2015). Informal transformative learning from a life-threatening illness. In Mejiuni, O., Cranton, P., and Taiwo, O. (Eds.) Measuring and Analyzing Informal Learning in the Digital Age. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi: 10.4018/978-1-4666-8265-8.ch005
- Hoggan, C. (2014). Lessons from breast cancer survivors: The interplay between context, epistemology and change. Adult Education Quarterly, 64(3), 191-205. doi: 10.1177/0741713614523666
- Hoggan, C., Simpson, S., & Stuckey, H., Eds. (2009). Creative expression in transformative learning: Tools and techniques for educators of adults. Malabar, FL: Krieger Publishing
- Cranton, P. & Hoggan, C. (2012). Evaluating Transformative Learning. In Taylor, E. & Cranton, P. (Eds.) Handbook of Transformative Learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- EAC 559 The Adult Learner
- EAC 759 Adult Learning Theory
- EAC 743 Adult Development Theory
- EAC 538 Instructional Strategies in Adult & Higher Education
Honors and Awards
- President’s Appreciation Award for Exemplary Commitment and Service to AAACE, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, 2015.
- Jack Mezirow Living Theory of Transformative Learning Award, Honorable Mention, International Transformative Learning Conference, 2014.
- Co-editor, Journal of Transformative Education (2016-present)
- Consulting Editor, Adult Education Quarterly (2015-present)