Edward J. Sabornie, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Teacher Education and Learning Sciences, is interested in students with high incidence disabilities (i.e., mild intellectual disability, learning disabilities, emotional-behavioral disorders). He teaches courses covering topics in applied behavior analysis, classroom management, and methods of teaching in special education. He advises students with interest in high incidence disabilities at the graduate level. His research expertise includes examinations of the similarities and differences of students with different types of disabilities, classroom behavioral management, and the social domain of students with high incidence disabilities. He has a special interest in adolescents with high incidence disabilities and ways in which to deliver effective instruction in secondary-level schools. Dr. Sabornie serves on the Editorial Boards of seven international educational journals and is the former Editor of the journal, Exceptionality. He is a two-chapter contributor and Co-Editor of the Handbook of Classroom Management (2015).
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Sabornie, E. J., Motsinger-Reif, A. A., Crossland, C. L., Griffith, E. H., Biswas, M., Walker, H. M., & Hussey, W. J. (in press). Violence, crime, and suspensions in traditional versus public charter schools: Largescale evidence from one U.S. state. Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics.
- McKeithan, G. K., & Sabornie, E. J. (2020). Social-behavioral interventions for secondary level students with high-functioning Autism in public school settings: A meta-analysis. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 35(3), https://doi.org/10.1177/1088357619890312
- McKeithan, G. K., & Sabornie, E. J. (2019). Interventions for secondary students with high functioning autism in general education settings: A descriptive review. Exceptionality, 27, 81-100. doi:10.1080/09362835.2017.1359607
- Emmer, E. T., & Sabornie, E. J. (Eds.). (2015). Handbook of classroom management (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Sabornie, E. J. & Pennington, M. L. (2015). Classroom and behavior management research in special education environments. In E. T. Emmer & E. J. Sabornie (Eds.), Handbook of classroom management (2nd ed, pp. 186-204.). New York: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Emmer, E. T., & Sabornie, E. J. (Eds.). (2015). Introduction to the second edition. Handbook of classroom management (2nd ed., pp. 3-12). New York: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- ECI 573 Applied Behavior Analysis for Teachers
- ECI 574 Intellectual Disability
- ECI 576 Teaching Functional and Life Skills to Students with Disabilities
- ECI 579 Organization and Behavioral Management in Inclusive Classrooms
- ECI 580 Transition Programming for Students with Mild Disabilities
- ECI 620 Special Education Academic Instruction at the Secondary Level
Doctor of Philosophy Special Education University of Virginia
Master of Education Special Education University of Virginia
Bachelor of Science Special Education University of Virginia