Dennis S. Davis
Dennis is an Associate Professor of Literacy Education in the Department of Teacher Education and Learning Sciences in the NCSU College of Education. Dennis’ research and professional development activities focus on upper-elementary literacy instruction with an emphasis on reading comprehension, assessment, and intervention supports for students when they have difficulties in reading.
He is currently working on the Building Knowledge and Language through Inquiry (K.L.I.) project, funded by the Institute of Education Sciences. In this four-year project. Dennis and his colleagues are designing and piloting a new small-group reading comprehension intervention for English learners in grades 3-5. He also leads the Yadkin Wolfpack Literacy Partnership (YWLP), a project funded by the Mebane Charitable Foundation to facilitate innovative professional development in evidence-based reading instruction for teachers.
PhD Learning,Teaching, and Diversity Peabody College at Vanderbilt University 2010
- What do upper-elementary and middle school teachers know about the processes of text comprehension? , READING AND WRITING (2022)
- What do upper-elementary and middle school teachers know about the processes of text comprehension? (Mar, 10.1007/s11145-022-10268-4, 2022) , READING AND WRITING (2022)
- Getting KnERDI with language: Examining teachers’ knowledge for Enhancing Reading Development in Code-Based and Meaning-Based Domains , Reading Research Quarterly (2021)
- Using Insights from Teachers to Inform Online Professional Development in Early Literacy Instruction , Literacy Research and Instruction (2021)
- Is It Time for a Hard Conversation about Cueing Systems and Word Reading in Teacher Education? , Reading & Writing Quarterly (2020)
- Reading and inquiring in an afterschool tutoring program: Working to re-imagine the reading intervention paradigm , Improving Schools (2020)
- Complexity and scale in teaching effectiveness research: Reflections from the MET Study , EDUCATION POLICY ANALYSIS ARCHIVES (2019)
- From Disrupting to Holding Spaces for Critical Interruptions: Our Final Issue , JOURNAL OF LITERACY RESEARCH (2019)
- Looking Carefully at Instruction , JOURNAL OF LITERACY RESEARCH (2019)
- A 50-Year Journey Through an Expanding Landscape of Literacy Research , JOURNAL OF LITERACY RESEARCH (2018)