Master concepts in learning, design and technology through this innovative program with 077/079 computer/technology endorsements for licensed teachers. You will gain the knowledge needed to inform your design of learning environments to enhance student outcomes.
Receive More Info On LDT Master's ProgramsComplete this form to have someone contact you about the Learning Design and Technology program.
Why Learning and Design and Technology at NC State:
Complete your courses 100 percent online and on a part-time basis to fit your schedule
Quality instruction that incorporates research and best practices you can apply to real-world situations
Reduced tuition rates at one of the nation’s best values among public universities
Study alongside other professionals in a collaborative learning environment that will help you expand your network
Choose between a 30-hour M.Ed. curriculum or a 36-hour M.S. curriculum with thesis for a tailored program that aligns with your career goals
Licensed teachers can earn 079 computer educator endorsement after 18 hours of non-degree study and 077 technology specialist endorsement after completing the 30-hour M.Ed. program
This master’s level program offers education and learning professionals opportunities to improve learning through digital leadership, design, technology and inquiry. Courses prepare educators for digital learning competencies adopted by the N.C. Department of Public Instruction.
Program courses aligned with:
- North Carolina’s digital learning plan
- ISTE Standards for Teachers
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) standards
COURSE OF STUDY
Choose between a non-degree studies, Master of Education degree or Master of Science degree, with options for 079 computer educator and/or 077 technology specialist endorsements for licensed teachers.
Online non-degree studies
- Designed for those who want to serve in technology coordination/facilitation roles in K-12 schools and those who wish to take a few courses before applying to a graduate program. Up to 12 non-degree credit hours can be transferred into the master’s program.
- Previously licensed teachers who take six courses (18 credit hours) from the program curriculum are eligible for the 079 endorsement in computer education.
Online master’s degree programs (30-credit hour M.Ed., 36 credit hour M.S. with thesis)
- Designed for those interested in becoming a Technology Director in K-12 schools and districts and non-teachers interested in applying digital learning solutions in diverse sectors
- Previously licensed teachers who complete a degree program are eligible for the 077 endorsement as Instructional Technology Specialist
All graduating Learning Design and Technology master’s students must develop a portfolio to document their mastery of Technology Leadership Advanced Program Standards. For more information on the portfolio, view this portfolio guide.
The Graduate School outlines basic requirements for admission.
- Two official* copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts, including any non-degree studies at NC State
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA on all undergraduate work for unconditional admission. We may provisionally accept other applicants given professional experience or other high quality application materials.
- 3 letters of recommendation from persons familiar with applicant’s work
- 500–800 word statement describing how the program addresses the applicant’s professional goals
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants whose first language is not English
- Academic writing sample and statement of research interests (M.S. applicants only)
- Current resume that highlights program relevant work experience, coursework, and professional or scholarly activities
- Non-refundable application fee of $75 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents or $85 for international residents
* Applicants currently attending or who have previously attended NC State are not required to provide an NC State transcript. Official transcripts will be required once an admission decision has been made by the Graduate School. Copies of transcripts should be uploaded directly into your online application or sent directly to the Graduate School at:
The Graduate School
North Carolina State University
Research Building III, Room 240
1005 Capability Drive, Box 7102
Raleigh, NC 27695
TUITION AND FEES
Review the Online and Distance Education Rates for upcoming semester tuition and fees. Note that tuition and fees are subject to change.
Learning Design and Technology students may take courses from and build thesis/dissertation committees with the diverse group of program faculty listed below. Faculty offices are in Poe Hall. Beyond Learning Design and Technology, the College of Education has several other programs with digital learning emphases from which students can take courses/electives and identify further faculty for research collaborations, including: Technology Education (STEM Ed department), New Literacies (TELS department), and Training and Development (ELPHD department).
Core Program Faculty:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Please view our Master’s Program FAQ Document, which has answers to frequently asked questions about: non-degree and degree programs, 079/077 licensure offered, courses offered, how to apply, application deadlines, program timelines, time and place for courses, program requirements once admitted, and financing graduate education. If you have other questions, please contact the coordinator, Julia McKeown.
I was thrilled to see the Learning Design and Technology program was learning sciences driven, and even more impressed at the work NC State faculty does in research both in psychology and education.
Learning Design and Technology Student
When you join the Learning Design and Technology program at the NC State College of Education, you join the top-ranked college of education in North Carolina.
Ranked Among Best Online Graduate Education Programs in N.C. (U.S. News)
In Education Research Productivity by Faculty in N.C. (U.S. News)
Best Value Among Colleges in N.C. (Money Magazine)
Graduate Student Services Specialist