Please contact Christy Buck to register.
Visitor Parking information may be found at: www2.acs.ncsu.edu/trans/parking/visitors.html
- GRE is not required for M.Ed. applicants
- 3 Professional References
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools
- Written personal statement: background, professional goals, why this program
It is highly recommended that applicants have an undergraduate degree that includes a science major or at least 24 hours of sciences in their undergraduate background.
It is also recommended that applicants have a teaching license or experience in informal education.
Course of Study
This master’s program can usually be completed within two years and the curriculum is below. Part-time students usually complete the program within 3-4 years.
Key components to this program include:
- It meets the requirements for the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for advanced licensure for master’s degree
- It has a curriculum that supports science teachers applying for National Board Certification
- Scholarship opportunities are available
Science Education Core (12 semester hours)
- EMS 575 Foundations of Science Education (3) Fall semester (even years)
- EMS 521 Advanced Methods in Science Education I (3) Fall semester
- EMS 522 Advanced Methods in Science Education II (3) Fall semester
- EMS 573 Technology Tools for Science Teaching (3) Fall semester (every
Science Courses (15 semester hours) 400-level or above
Note: No more than six credit hours of 400-level courses may be counted toward the degree. Three hours may be a research experience.
- EMS 531 Introduction to Research in Science Education (3) Spring semester (odd years)
Focus Area (6 semester hours)
Courses may be taken to develop expertise in areas such as College Science Education, Teacher Education (Elementary, Middle or High School) or Informal Education.
Focus areas include but are not limited to:
- Middle School Education
- Informal Education
- Special Populations
- Educational Technology
- Mentoring Pre-service/In-service Teachers
- Science (additional 6 hours in a specific content concentration)