RSVP and more information: Please contact Christy Buck, 919-515-1740 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the concentration area and degree of interest if known.
- GRE is not required for M.Ed. applicants
- 3 Professional References
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools
- Written personal statement: background, professional goals, why this program
It is highly recommended that applicants have an undergraduate degree that includes a science major or at least 24 hours of sciences in their undergraduate background.
It is also recommended that applicants have a teaching license or experience in informal education.
Course of Study
This master’s program can usually be completed within two years and the curriculum is below. Part-time students usually complete the program within 3-4 years.
Key components to this program include:
- It meets the requirements for the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for advanced licensure for master’s degree
- It has a curriculum that supports science teachers applying for National Board Certification
- Scholarship opportunities are available
Curriculum: 30 hours
Core Course: 3 hours (All three concentrations take this course)
EMS 573 Special Topics: Design of Tools and Learning Environments in STEM
Specialty Courses: 27 hours
Science Education Concentration
- 12 hours of science education courses
- EMS 521 Advanced Methods in Science Education I (3)*
- EMS 522 Advanced Methods in Science Education II (3)*
- EMS 531 Introduction to Research in Science Education (3)
- EMS 575 Foundations of Science Education (3)*
- 15 hours of specialty content courses from an estimated 200 options,
such as: Bio 592, BCH 553, NTR 515, NTR 624, FOR 595, FOR 501, HS 541, MEA 517, MEA 582, EA 501, EA 503, PHY552, PY 582.
*Informal EMS Courses may be substituted with advisor approval.