Designed to enhance the knowledge and skill set of experienced educators, students entering this program will have the opportunity to work with renowned experts in many facets of science education research and practice. Graduates return to the workforce prepared to become state and nationally recognized leaders in science education. This distance education graduate program is intended for pre-college teachers (Grades 6-12), community college instructors, and informal educators (e.g., museum, zoo, aquaria educators) or others who work in areas of science education. *We understand the hardships some students may experience, but we are unable to offer fee waivers
Receive More Info On Science EducationContact us to get more information on how you can complete your online master's in science education.
- GRE is not required for M.Ed. applicants
- 3 Professional References
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools
- Written personal statement: background, professional goals, why this program
It is highly recommended that applicants have an undergraduate degree that includes a science major or at least 24 hours of sciences in their undergraduate background.
It is also recommended that applicants have a teaching license or experience in informal education.
For more information about these events, or other questions, please contact Diana Lotito, email@example.com.
Course of Study
This master’s program can usually be completed within two years and the curriculum is below. Part-time students usually complete the program within 3-4 years.
Key components to this program include:
- It meets the requirements for the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for advanced licensure for master’s degree
- It has a curriculum that supports science teachers applying for National Board Certification
- Scholarship opportunities are available
Curriculum: 30 hours
Core Course: 3 hours (All three concentrations take this course)
EMS 573 Special Topics: Design of Tools and Learning Environments in STEM
Specialty Courses: 27 hours
Science Education Concentration
- 12 hours of science education courses
- EMS 521 Advanced Methods in Science Education I (3)*
- EMS 522 Advanced Methods in Science Education II (3)*
- EMS 531 Introduction to Research in Science Education (3)
- EMS 575 Foundations of Science Education (3)*
- 15 hours of specialty content courses from an estimated 200 options,
such as: Bio 592, BCH 553, NTR 515, NTR 624, FOR 595, FOR 501, HS 541, MEA 517, MEA 582, EA 501, EA 503, PHY552, PY 582.
*Informal EMS Courses may be substituted with advisor approval.