Designed for 6th-12th grade teachers, community college instructors and informal educators, this 100 percent online program will expose you to foundations and best practices in science education research that you can apply in your classrooms or other education settings and that will prepare you to lead.Apply Now
Why Science Education at NC State:
Designed to enhance the knowledge and skill set of experienced educators, students entering the Master of Education in STEM Education’s Science Education concentration will have the opportunity to work with renowned experts in many facets of science education research and practice. Graduates return to the workforce prepared to become state and nationally recognized leaders in science education. The program’s curriculum is also aligned to the requirements for the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for advanced licensure and supports science teachers applying for National Board Certification.
This master’s program can usually be completed within two years and the curriculum is below. Part-time students usually complete the program within 3-4 years.
Science Education Core (12 semester hours)
- EMS 575 Foundations of Science Education (3) Fall semester (even years)
- EMS 521 Advanced Methods in Science Education I (3) Fall semester (even years)
- EMS 522 Advanced Methods in Science Education II (3) Fall semester (odd years)
- EMS 573 Technology Tools for Science Teaching (3) Fall semester (every year)
Science Courses (15 semester hours) 400-level or above
Note: No more than six credit hours of 400-level courses may be counted toward the degree. Three hours may be a research experience.
- EMS 531 Introduction to Research in Science Education (3) Spring semester (odd years)
Focus Area (6 semester hours)
Courses may be taken to develop expertise in areas such as College Science Education, Teacher Education (Elementary, Middle or High School) or Informal Education.
Focus areas include but are not limited to:
- Middle School Education
- Informal Education
- Special Populations
- Educational Technology
- Mentoring Pre-service/In-service Teachers
- Science (additional 6 hours in a specific content concentration)
The Graduate School outlines basic requirements for admission.
- Three Professional References
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools
- Written personal statement that includes background, professional goals, and why you are applying tothis program
- It is highly recommended that applicants have an undergraduate degree that includes a science major or at least 24 hours of sciences in their undergraduate background.
- It is also recommended that applicants have a teaching license or experience in informal education.
NOTE: As of Spring 2013, GRE scores are no longer required for admission. However, if your overall GPA is below a 3.0, we strongly recommend that you submit GRE scores.
* Applicants currently attending or who have previously attended NC State are not required to provide an NC State transcript. Official transcripts will be required once an admission decision has been made by the Graduate School. Copies of transcripts should be uploaded directly into your online application or sent directly to the Graduate School at:
The Graduate School
North Carolina State University
Research Building III, Room 240
1005 Capability Drive, Box 7102
Raleigh, NC 27695
Review the Online and Distance Education Rates for upcoming semester tuition and fees. Note that tuition and fees are subject to change.
View scholarship and fellowship opportunities for graduate students in the Department of STEM Education.
Does this program meet the requirements for the N.C. Department of Public Instruction for advanced licensure?
Yes, it meets the requirements for advanced licensure for master’s degrees as set by the N.C. Department of Public Instruction.
Does this program support teachers applying for certifications?
Yes, this program as a curriculum that supports science teachers applying for National Board Certification.
Are there scholarship opportunities available?
Yes, you may view scholarship opportunities available for master’s students here.
The NC State College of Education is a great college with great professors and staff members who are always helpful and advising for a better tomorrow.
When you join the Science Education program at the NC State College of Education, you join the top-ranked college of education in North Carolina.
Ranked Among Online Graduate Education Programs in N.C. (U.S. News)
In Education Research Productivity by Faculty in N.C. (U.S. News)
Best Value Among Colleges in N.C. (Money Magazine)