Using the School-College-Community Collaboration Model, we equip students with the skills and knowledge needed to work as school counselors to promote the academic, career and social development of all K-12 students.
- For on-campus option: Jan. 15
- For online option: April 15
Why Counseling and Counselor Education at NC State:
This one-year online program prepares individuals to provide paraprofessional counseling to assist licensed professional counselors. The certificate program alone does not prepare students to work as professional counselors; however, it offers an introductory path into the counseling profession.
Our program emphasizes:
- Current practices and what’s new in the field
- Essential counseling skills
- Interventions in counseling
- Understanding and managing multicultural counseling challenges
Students will begin the one-year program during Summer II (end of June) and have one year to complete the required four classes. Credits completed in this program may be eligible for transfer into the master’s program in counseling.
Course descriptions can be found in the university course catalog.
Full Curriculum (13 credit hours)
- ECD 510 – Introduction to Counseling
- ECD 524 – Career Counseling and Development
- ECD 530 – Theories and Techniques of Counseling
- ECD 525 – Cross-Cultural Counseling
We encourage all interested students to apply. Applicants should have a 3.0 out of a 4.0 GPA but may receive provisional admittance based on related graduate classes completed in the field of education, human services or training and development, and, ultimately, by earning at least a “B” (3.0) average in the first class of the program.
- Complete online Graduate School application and submit non-refundable admission fee
- Submit resume outlining education and work experience
Admission to this graduate certificate program takes place in the spring for a summer start. Rolling admissions are possible if seats are available. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
When you join the Counseling and Counselor Education program at the NC State College of Education, you will receive the quality instruction you need at North Carolina’s leading college of education to become the counseling professional you want to be.
Ranked Among Online Graduate Education Programs in N.C. (U.S. News)
In Colleges of Education Rankings Nationwide (U.S. News)
Ranked in Value Among Colleges of Education in N.C. (Money Magazine)