Learn how to apply research-based understandings of student thinking to your mathematics classroom, hone your pedagogical approaches, and discover how educational issues can inform your practice in this flexible, online program.
Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. September 23, 2020: College of Education Virtual Open House. Wednesday, September 23, 2020 (7:30 pm)
Thursday, 7:30 p.m. October 29, 2020: College of Education Virtual Open House. Thursday, October 29, 2020 (7:30 pm)
Friday, November 13, 2020: Virtual STEM Ed Graduate Open House. For more information: Please contact Christy Buck, email@example.com
Applications are considered on a rolling basis with the following deadlines:
- For Fall Enrollment: April 1
- For Summer Enrollment: April 1
- For Spring Enrollment: Nov. 15
Why Mathematics Education at NC State:
The Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Teaching and Learning is a 12-hour online program focused on developing knowledge and instructional approaches in teaching mathematics. It primarily serves practicing teachers in middle school through college settings or those preparing for careers in such settings who want to expand their expertise in teaching and learning mathematics.
Our program will help you apply:
- Research-based understandings of student thinking
- Pedagogical approaches; and
- Broader educational issues to inform your practice of teaching.
Students take 12 credit hours of graduate-level mathematics education courses online. No courses may be transferred into the graduate certificate program. A grade of C- or better is required for a course to count toward the certificate. A 3.00 GPA is required to earn the certificate.
Students can choose four out of the five courses listed below:
- EMS 510 | Interactions in the Mathematics Classroom
- EMS 580 | Teaching Mathematics with Technology
- EMS 513 | Teaching and Learning of Algebraic Thinking
- EMS 514 | Teaching and Learning of Geometric Thinking
- EMS 519 | Teaching and Learning of Statistical Thinking
An application for acceptance into the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Teaching and Learning is required for all new students. Applicants must complete the Graduate School application. Requirements for admission to the certificate program include:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in mathematics education, mathematics, or statistics or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work (unofficial copies accepted)
- A written statement of goals related to enrolling in the Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Teaching and Learning.
International applicants who are not degree-seeking students in an NC State University graduate program can complete the program online. International students will not be able to receive a visa to complete this graduate certificate program in the U.S.
Those applicants who are currently enrolled in an NC State graduate degree program and in good standing need only submit the graduate student Certificate Plan Data Entry form to the program coordinator.
This online graduate certificate program serves teachers not wanting a full master’s degree (but could count towards a master’s degree), current graduate students in mathematics or community college instructors who want to develop expertise in teaching mathematics.
The purpose of this program is to increase teachers’ understanding of issues of pedagogy and to further develop their repertoire of successful research-based teaching techniques.
Academic success in the graduate certificate program in Mathematics Teaching and Learning might have a strong bearing on admission to a master’s or doctoral program; however, completion of a graduate certificate program does not guarantee admission into a graduate degree program.
When you join the NC State College of Education, you will receive the quality instruction you need at North Carolina’s leading college of education to elevate your career and become the mathematics educator you want to be.
Ranked Among Online Graduate Education Programs in N.C. (U.S. News)
In Colleges of Education Rankings Nationwide (U.S. News)
Producer of STEM Educators in N.C.