To Register, please send your name, email address, area of interest (i.e., Science Education, Mathematics Education or Technology Engineering & Design Education) and degree desired (Masters or Doctoral) to email@example.com
A strong emphasis on pedagogical content knowledge, disciplinary content knowledge and technological innovation in improving schooling is a defining characteristic of our master’s program. Through the master’s program, students will further develop their instructional expertise, extend their knowledge of learners, deepen their subject matter knowledge, use educational research methods and engage in professional leadership activities.
- GRE scores required for M.S. program only. GRE not needed for M.Ed. applicants
- 3 references
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary education
- Written personal statement
- It is highly recommended that applicants have an undergraduate degree that includes a mathematics major or at least 24 hours of mathematical sciences in their undergraduate background
- It is also recommended that applicants have a teaching license
Course of Study
Curriculum Requirements for 36 hrs
Course descriptions can be found in the university course catalog.
12 hours: Four core courses are chosen from the list below. At least one technology course is required.
- EMS 512 Teaching Mathematics in Elementary and Middle School: Bridging Theories and Practice
- EMS 513 Teaching and Learning Algebra
- EMS 514 Teaching and Learning Geometry
- EMS 519 Teaching and Learning Statistics
- EMS 510 Interactions in Mathematics Classrooms
- EMS 592 Special Topics in Mathematics Education (offerings vary)
- EMS 580 Teaching Mathematics with Technology (can’t be used if EMS480 has been taken)
- EMS 581 Advanced Application of Technology in Math Ed
Students take 6 hours one elective and one research course.
Students take 18 hours of mathematical science courses, 6 of which can be at the 400 level but the rest must be at the 500 level. The number and kind of course depends on the focus they have chosen.
Persons interested in more details can see the Mathematics Education Graduate Handbook MASTERS.