Our innovative online program prepares school teachers, administrators, staff, advisors, tutors in schools and universities, human service workers, and individuals interested in counseling work to advocate and support students, their families, clients and local communities. Our certificate program allows students to learn in a flexible environment, with flexible online classwork, without the hassle of traffic and on-campus parking. Students will meet online each week for a 90-minute interactive discussion with the professor, instructors and classmates, in order to stay connected and challenged.
This one-year online program prepares individuals to provide paraprofessional counseling to assist licensed professional counselors. The certificate program alone does not prepare students to work as professional counselors; however, it offers an introductory path into the counseling profession.
The GCCE Program now offers both full-time and part-time options for accepted students!
Financial aid resources are available to full-time students; part-time students are not eligible for financial aid benefits. Please be sure to indicate which option you would like to attend when completing your application process to be considered as a GCCE student.
Our program emphasizes:
- Current practices and what’s new in the field
- Essential counseling skills
- Interventions in counseling
- Understanding and managing multicultural counseling challenges
Course of Study
Students will begin the certificate program in Fall Semester and will complete the required four classes in one year. If applying to the master’s program in counseling and are accepted, credits completed in this program are transferable.
Course descriptions can be found in the university course catalog.
- Full-Time GCCE Option: If accepted into the GCCE program as a full-time student, you will begin in the fall semester and be required to enroll in 2 courses for the Fall semester AND 2 courses for the Spring semester. Upon receiving an official acceptance letter into the GCCE program, you will be provided specific course listings and other important programmatic information. If students successfully complete their courseload (i.e. receives an earned grade of a “C” or better), the GCCE program can be completed in just 2 semesters as a full-time student (August-May)!
A Full-Time course schedule is as follows:
- FALL: Multicultural Lifespan Development AND Orientation to Professional Counseling, Identity, and Ethics (15-week semester)
- SPRING: Theories & Techniques of Counseling (15 weeks) AND Multicultural Counseling (15-week semester)
- Part-Time GCCE Option: If accepted into the GCCE program as a part-time student, you will enroll in one course per semester throughout the course of one year. Upon receiving an official acceptance letter into the GCCE program, you will be provided specific course listings and other important programmatic information. If students successfully complete their courseload (i.e. receives an earned grade of a “C” or better), the GCCE program can be completed in just one year.
A Part-Time course schedule is as follows:
- FALL: Multicultural Lifespan Development (15 weeks)
- SPRING: Theories and Techniques of Counseling (15 weeks)
- SUMMER 1: Multicultural Counseling (5 weeks)
- SUMMER 2: Orientation to Professional Counseling, Identity, and Ethics (5 weeks)
Full Curriculum (13 credit hours)
- ECD 510 – Orientation to Professional Counseling, Identity, and Ethics
- ECD 575 – Multicultural Lifespan Development
- ECD 530 – Theories and Techniques of Counseling
- ECD 525 – Multicultural Counseling
We encourage all interested students to apply. Applicants should have a 3.0 out of a 4.0 GPA but may receive provisional admittance based on related graduate classes completed in the field of education, human services or training and development, and, ultimately, by earning at least a “B” (3.0) average in the first class of the program.
- Complete online Graduate School application and submit non-refundable admission fee
- Submit resume outlining education and work experience
Admission to this graduate certificate program takes place in the Summer for a Fall start. Rolling admissions are possible if seats are available. Email us at email@example.com with any questions.
Tuition and Fees
Review the Estimated Cost of Attendance associated with this graduate certificate program for the upcoming semester tuition and fees. Note that tuition and fees are subject to change.
Why Counseling and Counselor Education at NC State:
Quality instruction that incorporates research and best practices you can apply to real-world situations
Flexible online program offering 90-minute interactive class discussions once a week
Study alongside other professionals in a collaborative learning environment that will help you expand your network