The social studies concentration is a 30 hour program. All history and social studies teachers enrolled will take 4 Core Courses along with an additional 6 courses focused on teaching and learning history and social studies. These courses include advanced, graduate-level content courses in history and the social studies.
This year we are offering five $2,000 Martorella Scholarships to cover costs of tuition. Scholarships will be awarded based on academic merit.
Core curriculum will consist of 4 courses which is 12 hours of coursework.
- ECI 546 New Literacies and Media
- ECI 524 Theory and Research in Global Learning
- ECI 523 Teacher as Researcher
- ECI 508 Teachers as Leaders
Specialty curriculum typically consists of 6 courses which is 18 hours of coursework.
1. Social Studies Education Courses (9 hours):
- ECI 525 Contemporary Approaches in the teaching of Social Studies
- ECI 526 Theory and Research On Teaching and Learning Social Studies
- ECI 727 Special Problems in Curriculum & Instruction OR ECI 630 Independent Study in Curriculum & Instruction
2. Restricted Elective. Select one course (3 hours):
- ECI 500 Theory and Practice In Teaching Diverse Populations
- EDP 582 Adolescent Development
- EDP 504 Advanced Educational Psychology
- ECI 511 Computer Applications and Curriculum Integration
- ECI 512 Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning
- ECI 513 Videography for Education
- ECI 514 Multimedia Design and Applications in Inst.
- ECI 515 Internet Applications and Web Page Design in Instruction
- ECI 516 Design and Evaluation Of Instructional Materials
- ECI 517 Advanced Multimedia Design and Applications in Instruction
3. Social Studies Content Courses (6 hours):
- Choose two courses from social studies disciplines (history, political science, economics, anthropology, or geography). Others courses in social studies pedagogy or content may be substituted with approval of the advisor.