Minor in Technology, Engineering & Design Education
The Technology, Engineering and Design Education minor broadens students’ comprehension of the
technological society in which they live. This is accomplished through the investigation and
manipulation of tools, materials, and machines related to technology. Further, students experience
technology coursework in applications such as information and communication systems; emerging
technologies, robotics education, and evaluation of technological impacts on society, individuals, and
culture. Minor programs are individually designed to meet the needs of the student and to
complement their major.
- The Technology, Engineering and Design Education Minor is open to all NC State students except Technology, Engineering, and Design Education (TDE) majors.
- Requires a 2.5 or better cumulative NC State GPA.
Students completing the minor will:
- Gain an understanding of technology practices including the fundamentals and core concepts of technological literacy.
- Gain experience and proficiency across 3-4 additional areas of technology, engineering, and design.
- Complete 15 hours of course work in Technology, Engineering and Design Education.
- A minimum grade of ‘C’ (2.0) or better must be achieved in each course counting towards the minor.
- Students who have transfer credit from another institution that they believe is equivalent to GC120 should consult the contact person listed below for approval and inclusion in the minor.
Required Courses (6 credit hours):
|Course #||Course Name|
|GC 120||Foundations of Graphics|
|TDE 110||Materials and Processes Technology|
Elective Courses (9 credit hours):
Choose any three (3) of the following courses:
|Course #||Course Name|
|TDE 131||Technology through Engineering and Design I|
|TDE 205||Desktop Publishing & Imaging Technology|
|TDE 261||Digital Media Education|
|TDE 331||Technology Through Engineering and Design II|
|TDE 351||Ceramics: The Art and Craft of Clay|
|TDE 359||Electronics Technology|
|TDE 371||Emerging Issues in Technology|
|TDE 385||Robotics Education|
|TDE 481||Research and Development in Technology Education|
|TDE 490||Special Problems in Technology Education|
|TDE 498||Independent Study in Technology Education|
Course Registration Timeline for Minors
Technology, Engineering and Design Education minors will be able to enroll in courses on the date that university freshman can begin enrolling regardless of enrollment date. Priority enrollment is given to students in the TDE/GC major.
Students may declare their intention to complete the Technology, Engineering and Design Education minor by consulting with the contact person listed below.
- Please be aware that course completion alone will not result in certification of the Technology, Engineering and Design Education minor. In order to be certified you must do the following:
- Apply to be admitted to the Technology, Engineering and Design Education minor and submit the minor declaration form.
- Complete the fifteen (15) required and elective courses with a ‘C’ (2.0) or better.
- Submit the minor certification form no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
- Forms for the minor declaration and certification can be found by contacting the designated person below.
510 Poe Hall
Effective Date: 1/2020
SIS Code: 13TEM