NC State College of Education Literacy Courses
Faculty in the Innovations in Teaching Literacy and English Language Arts group offer innovative courses for pre-service and in-service teachers and emerging researchers across several program areas.
Undergraduate Courses in Elementary Education, Middle Grades English Language Arts and Social Studies and English with a Concentration in Teacher Education
- ECI 306 Middle Years Reading Across the Content Areas
- ECI 307 Teaching Writing Across the Curriculum
- ELM 330 Teaching Reading in Elementary School K-2
- ELM 335 Teaching Reading in Elementary School 3-5
- ELM 430 Teaching Language Arts in the Elementary School
- ECI 450 Methods and Materials in Teaching English Language Arts
Learn More about our Elementary Education, Middle Grades English Language Arts and Social Studies and English with a Concentration in Teacher Education programs.
Initial Teacher Licensure at the Graduate Level (MAT) in Elementary Education, English and Middle Grades Language Arts
- ECI 509 The Foundations of Reading in the Elementary School
- ELM 571 Language Arts, New Literacies, and Media
- ELM 572 The Structures of Reading Instruction in the Elementary-School Classroom
- ECI 520 The Teaching Of Composition
- ECI 521 Teaching Literature For Young Adults
Learn more about a Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary Education, English and Middle Grades Language Arts.
Master’s of Education for Experienced Teachers (M.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction: New Literacies and Global Learning
- ECI 509 Teachers As Writers
- ECI 537/ELM 537 Teaching Children’s Literature
- ECI 524 Theory and Research in Global Learning
- ECI 540 Reading in the Elementary School
- ECI 541 Reading in the Content Areas
- ECI 543 and 544: Literacy Assessment and Intensified Instruction I/II
- ECI 645 Supervised Practicum in Literacy
Learn more about our Curriculum and Instruction: New Literacies and Global Learning concentration.
Doctor of Philosophy in Teacher Education and Learning Sciences: Literacy and English Language Arts Program Area of Study
- ECI 745 Literacy Theory and Research
- ECI 803 Advanced Studies in Literacy Research
- ECI 709 Critical Theory and Public Engagement
- ECI 709 Critical Literacy for Social Change
Learn more about our Literacy and English Language Arts Education concentration.