Secondary English Language Arts: New Literacies and Global Learning
The English language arts concentration is a 30-hour program. All teachers enrolled will take 4 Core Courses along with an additional 6 courses focused on teaching and learning English language arts. These courses include advanced, graduate-level content courses in the English department.
To apply, you will need to submit transcripts from all universities previously attended (with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0), a personal statement, a current resume, and three letters of recommendation. We do not require GRE scores or entrance exams for this program. In your personal statement, describe your professional interests and experiences that prepare you for a graduate degree in the concentration area. In the application system drop-down menus, look for Curriculum and Instruction, M.Ed., Distance Education (DE), New literacies and Global Learning.
Core curriculum will consist of 4 courses which is 12 hours of coursework.
- ECI 546 New Literacies and Media (3 hours, online, fall and spring)
- ECI 524 Theory and Research in Global Learning (3 hours, online, spring and summer I)
- ECI 523 Teacher as Researcher (3 hours, online, fall)
- ECI 508 Teachers as Leaders (3 hours, spring)
Specialty curriculum typically consists of 6 courses which is 18 hours of coursework.
1. Computer Applications Courses (3 Hours): Select the appropriate 3 hour course
- ECI 511- Computer Applications and Curriculum Integration (fall, summer, online)
- ECI 512- 21st C. Technology: Teaching and Learning (spring, online)
- ECI 513- Videography for Education (spring, online)
- ECI 514- Multimedia Design and Applications in Inst. (fall, online)
- ECI 515- Internet Applications and Web Page Design in Instruction (spring, online)
- ECI 516/716- Design and Evaluation of Instructional Materials (spring, online)
- ECI 518- Program and Staff Development in Instruction (spring, online)
- ECI 519- Special Problems in Instructional Technology
2. English Education Courses (9 Hours):
- ECI 520 The Teaching of Composition (spring) 3 hours
- ECI 521 Teaching Literature for Young Adults (fall) 3 hours
3. Select ONE from the following:
- ECI 522- Issues and Trends in English Language Arts Education (fall, odd-numbered years)
- ECI 531- Advanced Writing in Education (spring each year)
- ECI 541- Reading in the Content Areas* (spring, online; fall, face-to-face; summer, both)
4. English Course, Select One at the Graduate Level (3 Hours)
5. English or Education or Psychology Elective (3 Hours)