The Initial Licensure Program in Business and Marketing Education is a Residency Model license Pathway. This 12-credit hour online program is designed specifically for Residency Entry licensed teachers who are currently in a Business or Marketing classroom or have been offered employment.
Consisting of three courses in the Department of Teacher Education and Learning Sciences, our initial licensure program is one of the Lateral Entry/Residency programs in the Alternative Teacher Education Program offered at NC State. Courses are offered as extension courses and delivered entirely via on-line and field-based experiences.
Course of Study
All courses are offered during both Fall and Spring semesters.
- ECI 561 Curriculum and Instruction in Business and Marketing Education (3 semester hours)
- ECI 562 Business and Marketing Education Program Management (3 semester hours, prerequisite ECI 561)
- ECI 657 Internship in Business and Marketing Education (6 semester hours, prerequisite ECI 561)
In addition to the above courses, a teacher must take and pass the subject area Praxis II Exam (either Business Education or Marketing Education) as indicated on their Initial License and have a passing score on the edTPA.
Upon completion of the 3 courses, passing Praxis II score, and successful score on the edTPA. NCSU will write a Letter of Completion for the student to apply for their “Continuing License” through NC-DPI.
Terrell E. Robinson
Admissions requirements for the ILP include:
- Employment or Acceptance of offer of Employment as a Lateral Entry or Residency licensed Business or Marketing teacher in a North Carolina Public School System
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, business or marketing education, or related area from an accredited college or university, or 24 credit hours in Business or Marketing
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75
- An official copy of all college or university transcripts
- Completed NC State Lateral Entry/Residency Application
- Completed Licensure Plan