Minor in Graphic Communications
This fifteen-credit hour minor develops competencies in selecting and applying graphic techniques in both professional and avocational areas, provides in-depth study and authentic activities in visual science, and enriches visual perception and critical thought in graphic areas. Minor programs are individually designed to meet the needs of the student and to complement their major.
- The Graphic Communications Minor is open to all NC State students except Technology, Engineering, and Design Education (TDE) majors.
- Requires a 2.5 or better cumulative NC State GPA.
Students completing the minor will:
- Gain an understanding of the language of graphic communications practices including the fundamentals and core concepts.
- Gain experience and proficiency across 3-4 additional areas of graphic communications.
- Complete 15 hours of course work in Graphic Communications.
- A minimum grade of ‘C’ (2.0) or better must be achieved in each course counting towards the minor.
- Students who have transfer credit from another institution that they believe is equivalent to GC120 should consult the contact person listed below for approval and inclusion in the minor.
Required Courses (3 credit hours):
|Course #||Course Name|
|GC 120||Foundations of Graphics OR|
|TDE 220||Civil Engineering Graphics|
Elective Courses (12 credit hours):
Choose any four (4) of the following courses:
|Course #||Course Name|
|GC 250||Architectural Graphic Communications|
|GC 320||3-D Spatial Relations|
|GC 330||Basic Technical Animation|
|GC 340||Concepts of Website Development|
|GC 350||Applied CAD/D and Geometric Controls|
|GC 420||Visual Thinking|
|GC 450||Advanced CAD/D|
|GC 496||Special Topics in Graphic Communications|
|GC 498||Independent Study in Graphic Communications|
|TDE 205||Desktop Publishing & Imaging Technology|
|TDE 261||Digital Media Education|
Course Registration Timeline for Minors
Graphic Communications minors will be able to enroll in courses on the date that university freshman can begin enrolling regardless of enrollment date. Priority enrollment is given to students in the TDE/GC major.
Students may declare their intention to complete the Graphic Communication minor by consulting with the contact person listed below.
- Please be aware that course completion alone will not result in certification of the Graphic Communications minor. In order to be certified you must do the following:
- Apply to be admitted to the Graphic Communications minor and submit the minor declaration form.
- Complete the fifteen (15) required and elective courses with a ‘C’ (2.0) or better.
- Submit the minor certification form no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
- Forms for the minor declaration and certification can be found by contacting the designated person below.
John Parks Newby
510 Poe Hall
Effective Date: 1/2020
SIS Code: 13GCM