Dr. Shaun Kellogg is the Interim Executive Director of the Friday Institute for Educational Innovation and Director of the Friday Institute Research and Evaluation (FIRE) Team and Teaching Assistant Professor in the College of Education. Dr. Shaun Kellogg has over 20 years of experience in education as both a public school teacher and educational researcher.
Since 2011, Dr. Kellogg has led comprehensive research, evaluation, and capacity-building projects centered on the use of technology to make learning more equitable, engaging, and effective for students and educators. He recently developed the Online Graduate Certificate in Learning Analytics in partnership with the College of Education and serves as the Principal Investigator on the NSF-funded Learning Analytics in STEM Education Research (LASER) Institute.
Prior to his work in research and evaluation, Dr. Kellogg spent 10 years in K-12 public education, beginning his teaching career as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Romania and later teaching in the public school systems of Michigan and North Carolina. Dr. Kellogg is an NCCTM Outstanding Elementary Math Teacher, Hoke County Schools Math Teacher of the Year, and North Carolina 8th District Congressional Scholar. He has taught grades K-12 in various capacities including roles in special education and AIG.
Dr. Kellogg holds a B.A. from the University of Michigan, teaching certification from Michigan State University, and a Master’s Degree in Educational Technology from Western Michigan University. He earned his PhD in Curriculum & Instruction at North Carolina State University and is a recipient of the first William C. Friday Graduate Student Fellowship for his research examining peer networks in online communities of practice and Massively Open Online Courses for Educators.
- ECI 586 Introduction to Learning Analytics
- ECI 588 Text Mining in Education
- ECI 589 Social Network Analytics in Education
Honors and Awards
- William C. Friday Doctoral Fellow
- NCCTM Outstanding Elementary Math Teacher of the Year Hoke County Teacher of the Month & Math Teacher of the Year Congressional Scholar 8th District, North Carolina
- Peace Corps Certificate of Service
- Computers and Learning
- Curriculum & Instructional Design
- Design-Based Research
- Digital Learning, Teaching, and Design
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Educational Leadership and Policy
- Friday Institute
- Instructional Technology
- Leadership Team
- Online Teaching & Learning
- Professional Development
- Program Evaluation