In order to be eligible to teach Science on a Residency License and be eligible for NC TEACH, you will need:
- A;Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with at least a 2.75 minimum GPA
- At least 24 hours in science, such as Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, or Zoology (courses from the Engineering and Psychology departments cannot be included).
- One of the following to meet the initial eligibility “content” criteria:
NOTE: These are requirements for initial eligibility and to quality for a Residency License. In order to obtain full licensure, candidates must have 24 hours in addition to the Praxis II before applying for licensure.
The following breakdown of Science courses is required when NC TEACHers apply for full licensure at the end of the program:
- 2 courses in Earth Science (Geology, Meteorology, Environmental or Atmospheric
- 2 courses in Biology (Zoology, Genetics, Ecology, Botany, Anatomy)
- 2 courses in Chemistry
- 2 courses in Physics
If you do not have these courses completed when entering NC TEACH, you can plan to take these content courses during the NC TEACH program. You must have a “C” or higher in the course. “C-” is not accepted.
Semester I (Summer start or Spring start ONLY – there is no Fall Start)
- ECI 471 (Spring): Educational Implications of Learning and Developmental Theory
- ECI 472 (Spring): Interaction of Classroom Management and Instruction
Semester II (Fall)
- ECI 473: Subject-Specific Methods
- ECI 474: Curriculum and Instruction Practices I
Semester III (Spring)
- ECI 475: Peer Mentoring in Alternative Licensure
- ECI 476: Curriculum and Instruction Practices II
For more details on core coursework please see Curriculum.
All candidates must pass the Praxis II before applying for full licensure. This exam can be taken while enrolled in NC TEACH.
Please prepare to take the correct exam for your licensure area. For information on which Praxis test to take, please review the NC State Praxis II North Carolina Licensure Exam Requirements (Download PDF).