Leadership Institute for Future Teachers (LIFT)
The Leadership Institute for Future Teachers (LIFT) is a five-day, invitational program for students of color and bilingual students who are rising high school seniors in North Carolina and who are interested in enhancing their leadership skills and exploring a potential career in education. Students will delve into the field of education through engaging in field-based school activities, interacting with leaders in education and exploring career options in education and related fields.
- Sunday, June 20: Orientation
- Monday, June 21-Thursday, June 24: LIFT Program
- Friday, June 25: Closing Program
Where: Virtual (via Zoom)
Cost: Free to participants
What: A five-day, invitational program for bilingual students and students of color who are interested in exploring a potential career in education
Who: For academically-competitive students of color and bilingual students in North Carolina who are rising seniors in high school interested in education. They can be self-nominated or be nominated by high school counselors, teachers or principals to participate in the program.
- Engage in intensive and innovative activities
- Interact with statewide leaders in education
- Enhance communication and leadership skills to be competitive for statewide and national scholarships
- Develop friendships with like-minded high school students across the state
- Be mentored by current NC State students who will serve as program co-facilitators
- Receive ongoing encouragement and support after the program through digital engagement
LIFT Family Frequently Asked Questions
WHEN IS THE LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE FOR FUTURE TEACHERS (LIFT)?
The virtual LIFT program will be held Sunday, June 20-Thursday, June 24. Our closing program will be held on Friday, June 25. A student and parent/guardian orientation will take place on Sunday, June 20, 2021.
IS THERE A COST INVOLVED?
LIFT is cost free to all participants.
WHAT WILL BE MY COMMITMENT OR INVOLVEMENT?
To make sure your participant shows up every day and with a positive attitude!
WILL LIFT BE A VIRTUAL PROGRAM?
Yes. Out of caution and concern for our participants and staff, we will hold the 2021 LIFT summer program virtually.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MY PARTICIPANT BEING IN LIFT?
Participants will have an opportunity to:
- learn about leadership development,
- engage with other students from around North Carolina,
- interact with an education mentor (E-mentor) throughout their senior year
- attend a fall and spring LIFT Academy to help them become competitive for scholarships and better understand the college admission process
HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN ATTEND?
LIFT will host 35 rising high school seniors who have been selected through a rigorous application process.