I am an Associate Professor of Mathematics Education and Special Education in the College of Education. I taught middle school mathematics to all students in a technology demonstration school in Florida. From that work, I grew to love teaching students deemed to be at risk for mathematics difficulties or who have cognitive differences (LD) that result in specific learning strengths and challenges.
My current project, "FAACT: Fraction Activities and Assessment for Conceptual Teaching", is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). I am honored to have received NSF’s Early CAREER Research Award to fund my program. I am happily working with partner school districts, principals, teachers, and their students with my FAACT fraction intervention curriculum to support and extend student learning.
Instruction in mathematics for students with LD should begin from students’ strengths and attend to how they currently understand mathematics concepts and procedures. Pedagogy should be based in a theory of knowing and learning that positions students as capable of growing their mathematical thinking through adaptation. My research suggests these students’ mathematical thinking advances over time through accessible intervention environments (small group or one on one) that promote students to construct meaning for mathematics, make connections across their experience, and take ownership of their reasoning.
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/
Post-doctoral Studies in Education from The University of Texas at Austin in 2012 (Advisor: Dr. Diane Bryant)
Ph.D. in Exceptional Education from University of Central Florida in 2011 (Chair: Dr. Lisa Dieker)
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Hunt, J.H., & Silva, J. (in press). Emma's negotiation of number: Implicit intensive intervention. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education.
- Hunt, J. & Stein, M. (in press). Constructing goals for student learning through conversation. Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching Pre-K–12.
- Hunt, J. H., Silva, J., & Lambert, R. (2019). Empowering students with specific learning disabilities: Jim’s concept of unit fraction. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 56, 100738.
- Hunt. J.H., MacDonald, B. & Silva, J. (2019). Gina’s mathematics: Thinking, “tricks”, or teaching? Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 10007.
- Hunt, J.H., MacDonald, B., Lambert, R., Sugita, T., & Silva, J. (2018). Think, pair, show, share to increase classroom discourse. Teaching Children Mathematics (Focus Issue- Invited contribution), 25(2), 80-84.
- Lynch, S., Hunt, J.H., & Lewis, K. (2018). Productive struggle for all: Differentiated instruction. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School (Linking Research and Practice Outstanding Publication Award), 24(4), 194-201.
- Hunt, J.H. & Tzur, R. (2017). Where is difference? Processes of mathematical remediation through a constructivist lens. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 48, 62-76.
- Hunt, J.H., Valentine, C.A., Bryant, D.P., Pfannenstiel, K., & Bryant, B. (2016). Supplemental mathematics interventions: How and why special educators intensify interventions for students with learning disabilities. Remedial and Special Education, 37(2), 78-88.
- Hunt, J.H., Welch-Ptak, J., & Silva, J. (2016). Initial understandings of fraction concepts evidenced by students with learning disabilities and difficulties: A framework. Learning Disabilities Quarterly, 39(4), 213-225.
- Hunt, J.H., Tzur, R., & Westenskow, A. (2016). Evolution of unit fraction conceptions in two fifth-graders with learning disability: An exploratory study. Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 18(3), 182-208.
- Hunt, J.H., Westenskow, A., Silva, J., & Ptak, J.W. (2016). Levels of participatory conception of fractional quantity along a series of equal sharing tasks: Stu’s trajectory. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 41, 45-67.
- Tzur, R., & Hunt, J.H. (2015). Iteration: Unit fraction knowledge and the French fry tasks. Teaching Children Mathematics (Focus Issue), 22(3), 149-157.
- Hunt, J.H. (2015). Understanding the diverse mathematical thinking of learners. Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, 20(2), 15-21.
- Hunt, J.H. and Empson, S. (2015). Exploratory student of informal strategies for equal sharing problems of students with learning disability. Learning Disabilities Quarterly, 38(4), 208-220.
- Hunt, J.H. (2015). Notions of equivalence through ratios: Students with and without learning disability. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 37, 94-105.
- Hunt, J.H. & Little, M.E. (2014). Intensifying interventions for students by identifying and remediating conceptual understandings in mathematics. Teaching Exceptional Children, 46(6), 187-196.
- Hunt, J.H. (2014). Effects of a supplemental intervention focused in equivalency concepts for students with varying abilities. Remedial and Special Education, 35(3), 135-144.
- Hunt, J.H., & Vasquez, E. (2013). An exploratory study of the effects of conceptual strategy intervention on knowledge of ratio equivalency for middle school students with mathematics learning disability. The Journal of Special Education, 47(3), 1-11.
- Hunt, J. H., Powell, S., Little, M. E., & Mike, A. (2013). The effects of e-mentoring on beginning teacher competencies and perceptions. Teacher Education and Special Education, 36(4), 286-297.
- EMS 770 Foundations of Mathematics Education
- ECI 682 Specific Numeracy Techniques for Students with Mild Disabilities
- ECI 585 Education of Children with Exceptionalities
Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award: Fraction Activities and Assessments for Conceptual Teaching
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Linking Research and Practice Outstanding Publication Award
- Consulting Editor: Learning Disabilities Quarterly
- Guest Associate Editor: Investigations in Mathematics Learning (Equity Focus)
Services and Engagements
- Steering Committee: North American Chapter of the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Elected)
- Program Coordinator, Special Education, NC State University
- Reviewer: Journal of Learning Disabilities
- Reviewer: Remedial and Special Education
- Reviewer: Learning Disabilities Quarterly
- Reviewer: Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
- Reviewer: Journal of Mathematical Behavior
- Reviewer: Mathematical Thinking and Learning
- Co-Founder and Member: Special Education Working Group, PME and PME-NA (2012- present)
- Co-Founder and Member: Complex Connections: Units Coordination Working Group, PME and PME-NA (2018-present)