Dr. Hoggan is an Associate Professor in the Educational Leadership, Policy and Human Development Department. His research involves transformative learning, or those experiences that dramatically affect how people see themselves and the world around them. He has studied transformative learning with a wide range of research participants, ranging from postsecondary and graduate students to breast cancer survivors to military veterans. Based on this and other research, he developed a Typology of Transformative Learning Outcomes and other analytic tools to aid scholars in understanding and researching transformative learning.
Doctor of Education in Adult Learning & Leadership from Teachers College, Columbia University
Master of Education in Adult Education from NC State University
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Brigham Young University
- Doctoral: Program Area of Study: Adult, Workforce, and Continuing Professional Education
- Master: Adult and Community College Education Program
- Certificate: Program: Teaching, Training, & Educational Technology
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Hoggan, C., & Browning, B. (2019). Transformational learning and community colleges: Charting a course for academic and personal success. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.
- Hoggan, C. & Kloubert, T. (2020). Transformative learning in theory and practice. Adult Education Quarterly, 70(3), 295-307.
- Hoggan, C. “Transformative Learning” in Oxford Bibliographies in Education. Ed. Anne Hynds. Oxford University Press.
- Hoggan, C., Mälkki, K., & Finnegan, F. (2017). Developing the theory of perspective transformation: Continuity, intersubjectivity, and emancipatory praxis. Adult Education Quarterly, 67(1), 48-64. doi: 10.1177/0741713616674076
- Hoggan, C. (2016). A typology of transformation: Reviewing the transformative learning literature. Studies in the Education of Adults, 48(1), 65-82. doi: 10.1080/02660830.2016.1155849
- Hoggan, C. (2016). Transformative learning as a metatheory: Definition, criteria, and typology. Adult Education Quarterly, 66(1), 57-75. doi: 10.1177/0741713615611216
- EAC 559 The Adult Learner
- EAC 759 Adult Learning Theory
- EAC 743 Adult Development Theory
- EAC 538 Instructional Strategies in Adult & Higher Education
Honors and Awards
- Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, 2020, for Transformational Learning in Community College: Charting a Course for Academic and Personal Success, Harvard Education Press.
- President’s Appreciation Award for Exemplary Commitment and Service to AAACE, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, 2015.
- Jack Mezirow Living Theory of Transformative Learning Award, Honorable Mention, International Transformative Learning Conference, 2014.
- Co-editor, Journal of Transformative Education (2016-present)
- Consulting Editor, Adult Education Quarterly (2015-present)