For the Elementary Education Program
Internal NC State Transfer Students
Elementary Education at NC State is a unique teacher education program with a strong commitment to diversity and innovation. Students are chosen in part due to outstanding academic performance as well as other factors including: demonstrated interest in the program, responses to short answer questions (as part of the CODA application), and performance in specific coursework, particularly in the STEM areas.
Minimum requirements for Elementary Education:
- Completion of 12 or more NC State graded credit hours, and
- A 2.75 overall GPA
Preferred requirements for Elementary Education:
- 3.0 overall GPA
Meeting the requirements does not guarantee admission to the desired major.
If you have questions, contact a College of Education Academic Advisor at 919-515-0595.
External Transfer Students
To be considered for admission into Elementary Education at NC State, the minimum requirements are:
An Associate of Science degree (AS) or approximately 60 credit hours of transferable college-level work that include the requirements below:
- 3.2 overall GPA and above
- Two semesters of English Composition equal to NC State’s ENG 101
- 8 semester hours of college-level Mathematics including the equivalent of NC State’s MA 121
- Biology and an 8 semester hour sequence of Science in Chemistry or Physics
Preference is given to students whose course work most closely aligns with credit hours identified in the NC Community College Four-Year Pathway Plan. Acceptance will be extremely competitive and on a space-available basis only. Admitted students are required to complete ELM 250 in Summer Session II.
More information about the external transfer process at NC State can be found here: transfer admission website.
Students seeking to transfer to our program should contact the Student Success and Advising Center.
For the Middle Grades Education: English Language Arts & Social Studies (MSL) program
- Internal NCSU Students
Minimum to apply and be considered:
Completion of 12 or more NC State graded credit hours
Cumulative GPA must be > or = to 2.75
- External Transfer Students
NC State Undergraduate Admissions employs a holistic approach in reviewing transfer students’ applications and considers a range of accomplishments and qualifications. While competitive transfer applicants should meet the following, these alone do not guarantee admission:
Coursework Recommendations for Competitive Applicants
Please note: Statistics cannot be used to meet the Math requirement
- Strong cumulative GPA for all transferable college work previously attempted
- 30 semester hours (or 45 quarter hours) of transferable credits (Qualifying AP scores can be used to meet transfer admission coursework requirements)
- Eligibility to return to each institution previously attended
- UNC-system Minimum Course Requirements, if 21 and under or have less than 24 transferable hours at the time of the application
- Attempted coursework through NC State University’s Non-Degree Studies Program (NDS) must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher in order to be considered for admission
2.7 overall GPA in the teaching field (English and History courses)
For more information, see the NC Community College Four-Year Pathway Plan. Select Middle Grades Education (BS): English Language Arts & Social Studies.