N.C. Annual Hispanic/Latino Professional Educators Summit
Hispanic and Latino educators from across North Carolina are invited to join us for the 2023 North Carolina Annual Hispanic/Latino Educators Summit hosted by NC State’s College of Education and Wake County Public School System. You’ll have the opportunity to learn more about pathways into education, hear from Hispanic and Latino educational leaders as they share their journeys in education, and network with others who are committed to raising the visibility and building a community of Hispanic and Latino educators, including teachers, instructional assistants, guidance counselors, administrators, and other educational professionals.
2023 Event Details
- What: N.C. Annual Hispanic/Latino Professional Educators Summit
- When: Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023 | 8:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Where: NC State University Club (4200 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606)
- Featured Speaker: Catty Moore, Superintendent of Wake County Public School System
- Other Speakers and Panelists: View all speakers and panelists here.
- Who: This event is intended to bring together Hispanic and Latino professional educators, including teachers, counselors, instructional assistants, administrators, school librarians, and anyone who works in the field of education.
- Purpose: To raise the visibility and build a community of Hispanic and Latino professional educators
- Cost: Free!
- Etc.: View the complete program and schedule here.
- Registration info: We’re sorry. We have reached capacity for this event.
9:30 a.m.: Introduction of Morning Keynote
Introduction of Morning Keynote by Mirtha Edwards, ESL Lead Teacher at Beaverdam Elementary School
9:35 a.m.: Morning Keynote
Morning Keynote: Catty Moore, Superintendent, Wake County Public School System
9:55 a.m.: Inclusion Activity
10:45 a.m.: Session I: Hispanic and Latino State of Affairs in North Carolina
Presenters: Cristina España, Deputy Director for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Governor’s Office; Dr. Lauren Fox, Director of Policy, Public School Forum of NC; Rocio Anderson, President, Society of Hispanic Professionals; and Dr. Maria Coady, Goodnight Distinguished Professor in Educational Equity, Professor of Multilingual Education, NC State University
Facilitator: Sonia Marquez, Principal, Oak Hill Elementary, Guilford County Schools
11:45 a.m.: Session II: What Does Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mean to You as a Latinx Educator
Presenter: Dr. Ricardo Nazario Colon, Chief Diversity Officer, Western Carolina University
1 p.m.: Session III: Growing Your Leadership Repertoire: Strategies to Prepare You for Your Next Leadership Position
Presenter: Dr. Carlos Ramirez, Teaching Assistant Professor, East Carolina University
- Christian Walter, Principal, Sylvia Mendez Newcomers School, Guilford County Schools
- Monica Yllanes, Principal, Apex Middle School, Wake County Public schools
- Omar Jaimes Rodriquez, Student Success Coach, Randolph Community College
- Mirtha Edwards, ESL Lead Teacher at Beaverdam Elementary School
- Dayson Pasion, Science Teacher, STEM Educator and Coordinator, Instructional Technology Facilitator, and Academic Coach, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
2 p.m.: Session IV: Our Lived Experiences: Hearing the Voices of Hispanic/Latino Students
Facilitator: Diana Urieta, Senior Director, Juntos
Panelists: Current college and high school students