Secondary Social Studies: New Literacies and Global Learning
Increasing the Capacity of Teaching and Learning Social Studies in a Rapidly Changing World
The social studies concentration is a 30-hour program. All history and social studies teachers enrolled will take 4 Core Courses along with an additional 6 courses focused on teaching and learning history and social studies. These courses include advanced, graduate-level content courses in history and the social studies.
To apply, you will need to submit transcripts from all universities previously attended (with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0), a personal statement, a current resume, and three letters of recommendation. We do not require GRE scores or entrance exams for this program. In your personal statement, describe your professional interests and experiences that prepare you for a graduate degree in the concentration area. In the application system drop-down menus, look for Curriculum and Instruction, M.Ed., Distance Education (DE), New literacies and Global Learning.
Core curriculum will consist of 4 courses which is 12 hours of coursework.
- ECI 546 New Literacies and Media
- ECI 524 Theory and Research in Global Learning
- ECI 523 Teacher as Researcher
- ECI 508 Teachers as Leaders
Specialty curriculum typically consists of 6 courses which is 18 hours of coursework.
1. Social Studies Education Courses (9 hours):
- ECI 525 Contemporary Approaches in the teaching of Social Studies
- ECI 526 Theory and Research On Teaching and Learning Social Studies
- ECI 727 Special Problems in Curriculum & Instruction OR ECI 630 Independent Study in Curriculum & Instruction
2. Restricted Elective. Select one course (3 hours):
- ECI 500 Theory and Practice In Teaching Diverse Populations
- EDP 582 Adolescent Development
- EDP 504 Advanced Educational Psychology
- ECI 511 Computer Applications and Curriculum Integration
- ECI 512 Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning
- ECI 513 Videography for Education
- ECI 514 Multimedia Design and Applications in Inst.
- ECI 515 Internet Applications and Web Page Design in Instruction
- ECI 516 Design and Evaluation Of Instructional Materials
- ECI 517 Advanced Multimedia Design and Applications in Instruction
3. Social Studies Content Courses (6 hours):
- Choose two courses from social studies disciplines (history, political science, economics, anthropology, or geography). Others courses in social studies pedagogy or content may be substituted with approval of the advisor.
Receive More Information About Our New Literacies and Global Learning Concentration
Contact us to learn more about our flexible graduate programs. The coordinator is Dr. Dennis Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org.