Middle Grades English Language Arts: New Literacies and Global Learning
The Middle Grades English Language Arts concentration is a 30-hour program. All teachers enrolled will take 4 Core Courses along with an additional 6 courses focused on teaching and learning English language arts in the middle grades. These courses include advanced, graduate-level content courses in the English department.
To apply, you will need to submit transcripts from all universities previously attended (with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0), a personal statement, a current resume, and three letters of recommendation. We do not require GRE scores or entrance exams for this program. In your personal statement, describe your professional interests and experiences that prepare you for a graduate degree in the concentration area. In the application system drop-down menus, look for Curriculum and Instruction, M.Ed., Distance Education (DE), New literacies and Global Learning.
Core curriculum will consist of 4 courses which is 12 hours of coursework.
- ECI 546 New Literacies and Media (3 hours, online, fall and spring)
- ECI 524 Theory and Research in Global Learning (3 hours, online, spring and summer I)
- ECI 523 Teacher as Researcher (3 hours, online, fall)
- ECI 508 Teachers as Leaders (3 hours, spring)
Specialty curriculum typically consists of 6 courses which is 18 hours of coursework.
1. Middle Grades Focus (3 Hours):
- ECI 550 Foundations of Middle Years Education (3 hours)
2. Restricted Electives. ELA Education/Diversity/Technology Options (9 Hours):
- ECI 500 Theory & Practice in Teaching Diverse Populations (3 hours)
- ECI 520 The Teaching of Composition (3 hours)
- ECI 521 Teaching Literature for Young Adults (3 hours)
- ECI 541 Reading in the Content Areas (3 hours)
- ECI 522 Trends & Issues in ELA Education (3 hours)
- ECI 511 Computer Applications and Curriculum Integration (fall, summer, online)
- ECI 512 Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning (spring, online)
- ECI 513 Videography for Education (spring, online)
- ECI 514 Multimedia Design and Applications in Inst. (fall, online)
- ECI 515 Internet Applications and Web Page Design in Instruction (spring, online)
3. ELA Content (6 hours):
- Approval of advisor. Choose from English discipline (literature, language, writing, film).