Middle Grades English Language Arts: New Literacies and Global Learning
The middle grades English Language arts concentration is a 30 hour program. All teachers enrolled will take 4 Core Courses along with an additional 6 courses focused on teaching and learning English language arts in the middle grades. These courses include advanced, graduate-level content courses in the English department.
Core curriculum will consist of 4 courses which is 12 hours of coursework.
- ECI 546 New Literacies and Media (3 hours, online, fall and spring)
- ECI 524 Theory and Research in Global Learning (3 hours, online, spring and summer I)
- ECI 523 Teacher as Researcher (3 hours, online, fall)
- ECI 508 Teachers as Leaders (3 hours, spring)
Specialty curriculum typically consists of 6 courses which is 18 hours of coursework.
1. Middle Grades Focus (3 Hours):
- ECI 550 Foundations of Middle Years Education (3 hours)
2. Restricted Electives. ELA Education/Diversity/Technology Options (9 Hours):
- ECI 500 Theory & Practice in Teaching Diverse Populations (3 hours)
- ECI 520 The Teaching of Composition (3 hours)
- ECI 521 Teaching Literature for Young Adults (3 hours)
- ECI 541 Reading in the Content Areas (3 hours)
- ECI 522 Trends & Issues in ELA Education (3 hours)
- ECI 511 Computer Applications and Curriculum Integration (fall, summer, online)
- ECI 512 Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning (spring, online)
- ECI 513 Videography for Education (spring, online)
- ECI 514 Multimedia Design and Applications in Inst. (fall, online)
- ECI 515 Internet Applications and Web Page Design in Instruction (spring, online)
3. ELA Content (6 hours):
- Approval of advisor. Choose from English discipline (literature, language, writing, film).