Courageous Conversations in Community Series
The College of Education’s Task Force for Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion collaborated with others across the college to hold the Courageous Conversations in Community Series in 2021-2022. The series invited faculty, staff and students from across the college to discuss topics together that foster greater awareness and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion. Many of the events listed below were held in partnership with the college’s Council on Multicultural Initiatives & Diversity (COMID).
Fall 2021 Events
CCC #1: Preparing the Next Generation of Culturally Competent Teachers
CCC #2: A Fireside Chat with Professor Emeritus David Gillborn
CCC #3: The Importance of Doing Self-Care when Doing Anti-racist Work
Held on Nov. 16, 2021, in collaboration with COMID, panelists for this session were
- LaTisha Brown, MEd, LCMHCA, NCC, Executive Director, Elle Brown Counseling & Consulting, PLLC
- Angel Dowden, Ph.D., LCMHC-S, LPC, NCC, ACS, Associate Professor and Program Coordinator North Carolina A&T State University, Department of Counseling
- Felix Morton, M.A., LCMHCA, NCC, Wellness Coach, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Brittany Wake, MA, LCMHCA, NCC, Candidate in Ph.D. in Educational Leadership, Policy, and Human Development: Counseling and Counselor Education Program Area of Study
- Moderator: BJ Durham, Candidate in Ph.D. in Educational Leadership, Policy, and Human Development: Counseling and Counselor Education Program Area of Study
Watch the session. (Passcode: vb$bzNc4)
Spring 2022 Events
CCC #4: Microaggressions in Academic Spaces
Held on Feb. 23, 2022, in collaboration with COMID, this session was led by Christy Byrd, Ph.D., an associate professor in NC State’s College of Education. Watch the session.
CCC #5: Racial Gaslighting I: How to Recognize It
Held on March 22, 2022, in collaboration with COMID, this session was led by Angelique Davis, JD, professor of political science at Seattle University, and Rose Ernst, Ph.D., an academic consultant. Watch the session.