Thank an Advisor: What College of Education Undergraduate Students Are Saying About Their Advisors
NC State’s Division of Academics and Student Affairs is celebrating undergraduate advisors May 9-13 through its Thank an Advisor program. NC State established this program to recognize outstanding advisors who support and mentor undergraduate students and make a positive impact on their lives. Below is a look at what some undergraduate students in the College of Education shared about their advisors in the college.
Kayla Baker, Assistant Director of Student Success
- Ms. Kayla is like my mom and sister wrapped up in one! She is Black excellence! Thank you for always being a resource for all students, especially students of color. Your work does not go unnoticed! I want to be like you when I grow up!
Candy Beal, Associate Professor of Middle Grades Social Studies Education
- Dr. Beal has been nothing short of amazing, supportive and optimistic. Her emails with words of encouragement proved to be necessary during my student teaching semester. Times were tough, but reading her emails made it all seem okay and oh so worth it. Aside from sharing her positivity, Dr. Beal is a great academic advisor. Emailing every once in a while to update me on my degree audit helped me ensure everything aligned well, so that I could graduate on time. I am beyond lucky to have had Dr. Beal as an advisor, and I know that whoever had her as theirs will, without a doubt, agree with me.
Amanda Beller, Director of Advising
- Thank you for not only helping me make my schedule, but actually taking time to help me decide what classes I would actually enjoy. You have helped me through tricky class situations and have encouraged me when classes haven’t gone the best. I lost confidence in myself, but you managed to help rebuild that and I am so appreciative.
- I just wanted to thank you for providing your expertise and advice in helping me figure my future out! Your wisdom and guidance has really helped me not only adjust to college as a first year, feel welcome and cared for in the College of Education, but also has helped me gain a general knowledge of all the ways I can apply my interests to my career goals.Thank you!
- Thank you for being such an amazing advisor! You are so understanding, compassionate, kind and helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to get to know me. Thank you for listening to my problems and always making sure that we craft the perfect plan to keep me on track.
- I would love to thank you for all that you do for me and the multitude of students that you take the time to help here at NC State University. I am very thankful to have you as my advisor because, at each of our meetings, you do short check-ups that are always helpful and always listen to the student you are advising. I appreciate how you always email quickly and put students in classes that would be best for them, whether it be an in-person or distance education course. You definitely stand out compared to other advisors because you were always positive when teaching ED 100 and as soon as you came back from maternity leave, you were ready to help students again in any way they may need. Thank you for always being positive and being there for students in any way that is needed because it is very appreciated by all of us!!!
- Thank you Ms. Beller for making my first two years of college so much less stressful. She was always there for me, our meetings were great and she got to know me as a person, not just advisee. She gave me other opportunities outside of my schedule and helped me navigate other parts of college. I appreciated our Netflix recommendations for each other and seeing the cutest pics of her baby (who’s not a baby anymore). Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the students in the College of Education!
Sunghwan Byun, Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
- Thank you so much for all your support! You have always been super encouraging and because of your guidance, I have a better idea of my future and my purpose for teaching. THANK YOU!
Cyndi Edgington, Assistant Teaching Professor of STEM Education
- Dr. E has made an incredible difference in my time at NC State. There has never been someone who has inspired me more to not only be the best educator I can be, but to be the best person I can be, and all that that means. The balance of doing great and meaningful work while also valuing our mental health is unmatched, and I don’t know a more compassionate person. There aren’t enough thank-you’s for what Dr. E has done.
- Thank you for always being understanding, motivating and welcoming every time we interact. You continue to be involved in my educational journey and I am thankful for your constant support. When I have questions, you ensure that I receive an answer. You are a great resource. You are a role model to being a respectful and honest math educator. Thank you!
- Dr. Edgington! You have been my favorite professor here at NC State. I have always enjoyed going to your classes (even over Zoom!) and felt like your homework/classwork was always so beneficial, and I never felt like it was just busy work. You remind me of my mom and I have always looked up to you and how hard you work for your students and this program. Thank you for caring so much about all your math students (even us little middle school teachers!). You really are the best!
- Hello, Dr. Edgington. I wanted to say thank you for following me along this journey throughout the College of Education! You’ve been there for me during very vulnerable moments where I’ve questioned whether I’m even meant to be a teacher. You were present, honest and genuine with your support and feedback. I could not have gotten this far without you and for that I am eternally grateful to you! Thank you and your future students are lucky to have you!
- Dr. E., Thank you so much for all your support. You work so hard for us and we all deeply appreciate your continuous encouragement and support. I am so thankful for all the times you have talked through issues with me and let me pick your brain about education. I always felt the most accepted and understood in your class. You always made our class a safe space where I felt comfortable to share all of my challenges and achievements. I will miss having class with you. THANK YOU!
- Thank you for being so helpful and responsive in your time as my advisor. You have made the last 2 years of my college experience so much better. I appreciate all of your guidance and the time you have taken to assist me and my peers. You have strengthened my passion for teaching and I cannot thank you more.
- Dr. Edgington, no amount of words can express my gratitude for you over the entire four years I have been at NC State. You have modeled compassion, flexibility and kindness in your classroom and as an advisor – and you embody strong leadership and empathy as an excellent professor. I say this with all my heart – I appreciate you and I aspire to be as phenomenal a teacher AND person as you are. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
- Thank you so much for four years of incredible support, reliable advice and dedicated teaching. You have been such a big part of my NC State experience and I’m so thankful to have had such a wonderful advisor.
Crystal Espey, Teaching Fellows Director
- Words can’t express how thankful I am to have you in my life, Crystal! You truly are my “NC State mom!” Thank you for always being there for anyone to come to, Teaching Fellow or not! Thank you for being there to listen to all the changes and happenings in my life. Lol, thanks for being a free therapist. There is no one like you on this campus, so I’m grateful to have you in my corner!
- Crystal, thank you so much for all that you have done for me, both personally and professionally during my time in the College of Education! You are the reason that I chose Teaching Fellows and NC State! You are so genuine and personal! Thank you for being there for every tear and triumph. I am so incredibly grateful to have had you on my side while I was at State! I know that I will always have a lifelong advisor in you! Thank you, you are going to impact SO MANY more lives, I will miss you tremendously!
Michelle Falter, Assistant Professor of English Education and Educational Equity
- Thank you for all of the help that you have offered me over the last year. You always make time to meet and are always prepared for anything that comes your way. I know my case was a difficult one, but you never gave up on me and we always found a way to work things out.
Jill Jones, Assistant Teaching Professor of Literacy and Language Arts
- Thank you, Dr. Jones, for always going above and beyond for your students. You are so greatly appreciated and valued here in the education program!
- Dr. Jones, I appreciate all the work you do as both an advisor and professor in the College of Education! You are very considerate and are always looking out for me and the rest of your students. You have been able to model what a great teacher looks like and I’ll be taking that with me when I am teaching in the future. Thank you for all you do!
- Dear Dr. Jones, It has truly been a pleasure being in your ELM courses this past year and having you as an advisor. You never fail to make me feel welcome and comfortable during every class and meeting we have. I appreciate your flexibility to meet with students outside of class to address any concerns, whether that be with the course or just our lives in general. I have never had a professor that cared about the well-being of her students as much as Dr. Jones. I thank you for everything you have done for me over the past year, and I can’t wait to keep in touch after the semester is over. You have taught me more than any other methods professor and I greatly appreciate you for that. Your future students are lucky to have such a great professor!
- Dr. Jones, I appreciate all of your guidance during this crazy semester! Your kindness and eagerness to help me with any questions I have had has made my junior experience flow smoothly. I am thankful I had you to go to this semester!
Jordan Lukins, Assistant Teaching Professor of Elementary Education-Special Education
- Thank you, Dr. Lukins, for being a consistent support. After transferring to NC State, I was always worried about not graduating on time because of my transfer credits and some classes not fitting into the requirements here, but you have helped me work around this and find the classes that I can take to fulfill all my requirements. You have also answered my emails when I’m getting ahead of myself about my licensure exams and stressing out about them. You had no hesitation to respond and send me all the resources you have that I can use, and you helped me to be able to take my tests for FREE. As a college student, this means so much to not have to pay. You have been great in helping me graduate on time and helped get me through my time at NC State as a transfer student. Thank you, Dr. Lukins.
Keith Martin, Senior Academic Advisor
- Mr. Martin is so helpful and so very kind! He made me feel really comfortable and made it really easy to sign up for classes and think about preparing for my career! He is great! Thank you so much, Mr. Martin!
- Mr. Martin has been extremely helpful to me throughout this entire year. I am so thankful to have had such a supportive and understanding advisor. When I was going through a very difficult time during first semester with a few of my classes, he would stay on the phone with me for a long period of time to make sure that I figured something out and always reassured me that everything was going to work out. Thank you so much for everything and I am so grateful to have had you as my advisor!
James Minogue, Associate Professor of Science Education
- Dr. Minogue, It was a pleasure being your advisee this year. I appreciate all of your guidance and help through a hard year and really value your earnest ability to encourage and keep the faith. I think it is great that you value us as individuals and check in with us. I also appreciate it when you are willing to answer the silliest question without hesitation and are willing to find out information if you do not know.
- Thank you for working with me and helping me figure out the PRAXIS stuff. I’m glad I got that completed in time. Also, thank you for the overview of what my senior year will look like. Your advising sessions are always well planned out, very informative and fun! You are down to earth and real. Thanks for being you!
Matt Reynolds, Assistant Teaching Professor of Science Education
- Thank you to Dr. Reynolds for being a source of support and understanding during my time at NC State. Without Dr. Reynolds, I would have not been able to participate in various events across NC State. Dr. Reynolds also provided a safe space for me to ask for guidance when needed. I really appreciate all that Dr. Reynolds has done for the science education community at NC State!
Kevin Sutton, Assistant Teaching Professor of STEM Education
- Thank you so much for being the best advisor and teacher I have had at NC State. I would have truly been lost without your guidance and help through the years. I hope you are doing well!
Angela Wiseman, Associate Professor of Literacy Educationn
- Dr. Wiseman, I wanted to say thank you for being a wonderful advisor! The first advising meeting we had was over zoom because of COVID-19 and after talking about my class schedule, we began to converse about traveling for almost an hour! I immediately felt comfortable and felt I could trust your judgment and support as I began my senior year of college. I then had the pleasure of being one of your students last semester, and your class taught me so much about incorporating different reading techniques to meet the needs of all my students. It is very clear how much passion you have for education and this trait shines as you teach! Thank you!