K-12, teaching professional and graduate support books are available both as eBooks and as print books. The collections are useful for pleasure reading as well as for teaching with literature and helping students understand concepts through informational text/nonfiction. You can search for books online or come into METRC to browse. These guides will help you navigate the collections or find more information about various books/texts.
- Text Leveling Guidance (also look for labels on the front cover of most books)
- TeachingBooks.net to find that “just right” book for yourself or a student
- For the username and password, contact METRC (919-515-3191)
- Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database
- Access reviews, text leveling, “read-alikes” and more
- Award winning/honor K-12 books
Books from Tripsaver/Interlibrary Loan and other libraries on campus can also be picked up at METRC. Find books at METRC or other library locations at NC State by clicking on the Search link above or going to https://www.lib.ncsu.edu
- Be sure to set up METRC as your default delivery library:
- Go to “My Account” on the library website and in “Account Info” set your “Pickup Library” to College of Education Media Center — more Tripsaver information here.
print titles in METRC
eBooks in OverdriveDownload to your eReader
Many ebooks are available by searching the NCSU library catalog – if you find a book in the catalog that says “View resource online,” you have found an eBook from Ebrary, Mackin Via, or NCSU Libraries. All can be viewed in a web browser and Mackin Via books can be downloaded to a device or ereader. College of Education students also have access to Overdrive to check out books to an ereader or mobile device.
To access eBooks on a mobile reader (Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc.) use Overdrive or Mackin Via. You can read Via books via a web browser or by downloading an app on a mobile device i.e. smartphone or tablet. To use Overdrive books, you must download the Overdrive app or another app like Kindle or Nook.
- OVERDRIVE: After searching and finding an ebook on Overdrive, you will be prompted to enter your “Library card number.” Your library card number is the same as your Student ID number. Enter your 9-digit Student ID number to gain access. Overdrive Help(link is external)
- MACKIN VIA – Browse by genre, text level, subject, etc. – you can also search for a specific title. You can view the book without checking it out as long as you have logged in to the NCSU CED METRC account. If you are prompted for a username and password, please contact METRC staff 919-515-3191 or by email at email@example.com. To “check out” a book to a device create your own account in the upper right corner. Click here for a list of Mackin eBooks with multi-user licenses. Mackin Via Help
- TUMBLE BOOKS – Interactive read-aloud eBooks some with quizzes. Our “plus” subscription also includes math content. Books and content are tied to Common Core Standards. If you are prompted for a username and password, please contact METRC staff 919-515-3191 or firstname.lastname@example.org Tumble Books Help
Textbooks are provided by publishers when NC DPI goes through and adoption process. Not all currently adopted textbooks are actually being used in schools. Textbooks should be used as a reference and to evaluate for students learning to teach with a textbook.