Finding the right book
Websites & Resources to Find a Book
Use the resources below to find book recommendations or books that fit your curriculum. Then use our catalog or ebooks to find and read the book!
Reading Lists, Reviews, Award Winners, Lesson Ideas, etc. Contact email@example.com for usernames or passwords.
- Find lesson plans, reading lists, author name pronunciations, audio excerpts from books and more
- CLCD – Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database
- A collection of award listings, reviews, and subject guides for children’s literature
- Search read-alikes for books you or kids like to read and find book lists/recommendations for age groups, genres, and more
- Virtual Book Displays
- Books and ebooks housed in METRC organized around themes
- Create an account and access reviews by readers of all ages, book lists, etc. – books also connect to local libraries and stores so you can access the title. If you use GoodReads to find a book, click on the “Libraries” link – then go to “Find Text at NCSU” and then “Search the Catalog” – this will show you if the book is available at METRC. NOTE – you must be on the NCSU network for this to work.
- Livebinder of Online, Free K–12 Texts
- NC Live
- NC Live has a host of information, including free ebooks, articles, a literature database, and workshops. If you’re on the ncsu network, it will automatically log you in as an NC State user.
- METRC Teaching Website
- This has additional pages and resources under the “Literacy” tab at the top.
Browsing in METRC to Find a Book
Call numbers on books start with LRL which is the designation of our library followed by the section of the library i.e. PZ 7 means fiction followed by the alpha letter that we use to shelve books in order – A, B, C, etc.
- Curvy Shelves — A-PT — Humanities subjects i.e. history, civil rights, language study, etc.
- Curvy Shelves — Q-Z — STEM subjects
- Curved Shelf — PZ 7.7 — Graphic Novels/Comic Books
- Tall Stack Shelves — PZ — Children’s Fiction (K-5, middle grades, and YA)
Look for the “key” in METRC to help you browse for specific genres.
F&P: Fountas and Pinnell
RC: Reading Counts
AR: Accelerated Reading
IL: Interest level (in grade level ranges)