Study Abroad Scholarship
The College of Education encourages our students to take advantage of the opportunity to study education outside of the United States and has recently instituted a new Study Abroad Scholarship to support our students’ efforts. The scholarships range from $500 to $1000. The following criteria will be considered by the scholarship review committee in selecting award recipients:
- Student’s first major must be in the College of Education.
- Student must be enrolled full time.
- Student must have completed two semesters in CED by time of travel.
- Student must have a 3.0 GPA at time of application (3.5 GPA for graduate students)
- Preference will be given to students who have actively participated in CED clubs and organizations.
CED graduate students may also apply for this award if they have a 3.5 GPA or higher and are enrolled full time. Scholarship recipients are required to share knowledge gained through their study abroad experience with CED students upon return through a presentation, written piece or other activity agreed upon with the CED study abroad coordinator.
To apply – go to Study Abroad https://studyabroad.ncsu.edu/for-students/funding-study-abroad/scholarships/
For more information about the study abroad scholarship process, visit the Study Abroad website at the address above or contact the CED study abroad coordinator, at CED_Scholarships@ncsu.edu
David L. Boren Awards Scholarships and Fellowships for International Study
The Boren Awards provide funding opportunities for U.S. Students to become more proficient in the cultures and languages of world regions critical to U.S. interests, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. David L. Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide funding up to $30,000 for graduate students and up to $20,000 for undergraduate students, for full academic year or semester programs. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics majors may also apply for summer programs of eight weeks or longer. More information can be found at: www.borenawards.org
Epsilon Sigma Alpha International – North Carolina State Council Scholarship Board
The Carolina council of Epsilon Sigma Alpha scholarship Board offers scholarship opportunities for students and teachers who are pursuing a degree or certification in Special Education. The scholarship ranges from $500 to $2500 per year and is targeted to individuals training for work with exceptional children. Current North Carolina teachers seeking additional training are also eligible.
Applications are available for downloading at: https://www.epsilonsigmaalpha.org/scholarships-and-grants
Forgivable Education Loans for Service (FELS)
The “Forgivable Education Loans for Service Program” (FELS) was established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011. The loan provides financial assistance to qualified North Carolina students who are committed to working in North Carolina in fields designated as critical employment shortage areas. The application and program information is available at CFNC.org/FELS. Continuing students who have received loans from the following programs and meet eligibility requirements for renewal will continue to be funded under the terms of their existing promissory notes:
NORTH CAROLINA PROSPECTIVE TEACHER SCHOLARSHIP LOAN
NORTH CAROLINA STUDENT LOAN PROGRAM FOR HEALTH, SCIENCE, AND MATHEMATICS TEACHER ASSISTANT SCHOLARSHIP FUND (TASF)
Goodnight Scholars Program
The Goodnight Scholars Program was created to assist middle-income families with the financial obligations of college.
The Goodnight Scholars Program selects students for application based on the following requirements:
- Must be a North Carolina resident.
- Major in one of the Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) disciplines, or in Education to teach in one of the STEM fields.
- Must apply for admission to NC State by October 15.
- Must complete the FAFSA by February 15. Priority is given to students from middle-income families.
For complete scholarship information and how to apply, please visit https://emas.ncsu.edu/goodnight/how-to-apply/.
The Mary Morrow-Edna Richards Scholarship Trust Fund
North Carolina residents enrolled in a teacher education program and willing to teach in a public school of North Carolina for at least two years may apply for this scholarship. Recipients will receive $1,000 for use during their senior year. For additional information, please visit https://www.ncae.org/get-involved/awards/mary-morrowedna-richards-scholarship/ or call the NC Association of Educators at 1.800.662.7924 ext. 227 or you may also email Elic Senter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Farm Companies Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Awards
The Doctoral Dissertation Award is designed to stimulate research and development of new knowledge in the fields of insurance, business, and education, and to increase the number of qualified teachers of insurance, business, and education at U.S. colleges and universities. Each winner receives a $10,000 research grant.
For more information and to apply for this award, please call 1-847-866-5100 and ask for the National Merit Scholarship Corporation Program Assistant, or visit
William Tasse Alexander Scholarship Fund
The William Tasse Alexander Scholarship Fund provides merit scholarships to undergraduate students from Mecklenburg County, North Carolina primarily in the field of education.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Be majoring in the field of education or taking courses leading to a career in teaching*
- Be legal residents of Mecklenburg County, NC*
*Applicants who are descendants of Susan Henry & Thomas J. Watkins and Margery Cochran & William T. Alexander must meet merit requirements for scholarships but are not limited as to field of study or place of residence
- Be at least rising juniors or seniors in college and must be full-time students. Exceptions may be made for lateral entry students at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee
For more information please visit: https://www.fftc.org/scholarships
El Pueblo, Inc. – Scholarships for North Carolina’s Latino Students
For more information about El Pueblo, Inc. please visit https://www.elpueblo.org
For a list of scholarships available and how to apply visit: Scholarship and Financial Aid Resources
More Scholarship Information:
- Undergraduate Teacher Education Scholarship and Loan Information. For more information and to apply on line, visit http://www.ncpublicschools.org/educatoreffectiveness/scholarships/?&print=true
- North Carolina Technology In Education Society. For more information and to join/apply online, visit https://ncties.org/recognition/scholarships/index.html
- The Sallie Mae Fund. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.salliemae.com/plan-for-college/scholarships/scholarships-for-college-students/
While visiting this site, you can learn tips for planning and paying for college, find financial aid resources and free workshops, download and order free materials on savings, planning, and paying for college, and download a “do it yourself” workshop for your community.
- 200 Scholarships for Minorities. For more information and to apply online, visit www.blackexcel.org/200-Scholarships.html
- American Indian College Fund. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.collegefund.org/scholarships/main.html
- Carolinas Credit Union Foundation. For more information and to apply online, visit www.carolinasfoundation.org/programs.aspx?a=viewPost&PostID=24824
- The Center for Scholarship Administration. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.scholarshipprograms.org
- College Board. For more information, visit https://www.collegeboard.org. Search scholarships at https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search
- Community Foundation for Greater Greensboro. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.cfgg.org/receive/scholarship_overview
- The Community Foundation of Southeastern North Carolina. For more information and to apply online, visit www.nccommunityfoundation.org/grants-scholarships
- Educational Testing Services. For more information, visit https://www.ets.org/toefl/scholarships/
- FinAid. For more information and to apply online, visit www.finaid.com
- Foundation for the Carolinas. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.fftc.org/scholarships
- Hispanic College Fund Scholarship. For more information and to apply online, visit https://www.hsf.net/
- Coca-Cola Two Year and Transfer College Scholarship and Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Four-Year Award for High School Seniors. For more information and to apply on line visit https://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/applicants/#.UlhMJyXD86Y
What scholarships are available to prospective applicants, and who can apply?
Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team – Fifty Gold $1,500, fifty Silver $1,250, and fifty Bronze $1,000 scholarships. Current students at two-year community colleges may apply between October 1 and December 2. This scholarship is administered by Phi Theta Kappa, and application details can be found on their website, https://www.ptk.org/scholarships.aspx
Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise – 180 scholarships of $1,000. Current students at two-year community colleges may apply between February 27 and April 30. This scholarship is administered by Phi Theta Kappa, and application details can be found on their website, https://www.ptk.org/scholarships.aspx
Gates Millennium Scholars. For more information and to apply online, visit http://www.gmsp.org/
Microsoft Scholarship Program. For more information and to apply online, visit https://careers.microsoft.com/students/scholarships
Knowles Science Teaching Foundation. Fellowship applications due October 15. For more information and to apply online, visit http://kstf.org/
Sigma Phi Epsilon’s Balanced Man Scholarship. Recognizing incoming freshmen male students who throughout high school have been able to balance the life of both scholar and athlete. For more information and to apply, visit http://www.sigep.org/resources/officer-positions/recruitment-old/balanced-man-scholarship.html