Dr. Maher is the Assistant Dean for Professional Education and Accreditation. He serves as the treasurer of the North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators and is an active member of the Moral Development and Education SIG of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) and the American Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators (AACTE). He also serves on various state committees in North Carolina including the State Superintendent’s Ethics Advisory Panel and the North Carolina Teacher Effectiveness Workgroup.
Dr. Maher’s research interests include teacher education policy, new teacher mentoring and induction, and pre-service teacher ethical development. His current project is an intervention to improve pre-service teacher’s ethical sensitivity.
Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum Development & Supervision from North Carolina State University
Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum Development & Supervision from North Carolina State University
Bachelor of Science in Biology; Minor: Secondary Education from Belmont Abbey College
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Dotger, B., Harris, S., Maher, M., & Hansel, A. (2011). Exploring the emotional geographies of parent-teacher candidate interactions: An emerging signature pedagogy. The Teacher Educator, 46:3, p. 208-230.
- McIntyre, E., Hulan, N., & Maher, M. (2010). The relationship between literacy and cultural differences: A study of teachers’ dispositions. Journal of Reading Education, 35(3) p.19-25.
- Dotger, B., Dotger, S, and Maher, M. (2010). From Medicine to Teaching: The Evolution of the Simulated Interaction Model. Innovative Higher Education, 35, p. 129-141.
- Maher, M.J. & Reiman A. J. (2009). Connecting to the Community: A Model for Caregiver – Teacher Conference Instruction. Teacher Education and Practice. 22(1) p. 64-78.
- Ponder, G., Maher, M., & Adams, M. (2009). Journal of curriculum and supervision. In: Kridel, C. Ed., Encyclopedia of Curriculum Studies. Palo Alto, CA: Sage Publications.
- Ponder, G., Maher, M., & Adams, M. (2009). Teacher education, professional development. In Kridel, C. Ed.. Encyclopedia of Curriculum Studies. Palo Alto, CA. Sage Publicatoins.
- Ponder, G., Maher, M., & Adams, M. (2009). Teacher education, professional development, history of. In Kridel, C., Ed. Encyclopedia of Curriculum Studies. Palo Alto, CA: Sage Publications.
- ECI 806 Teacher as Learner: Developmental Theory, Research, and Practice