Dr. Sutton teaches a variety of graphics courses, advises the Technology and Engineering Educators Collegiate Association (TEECA) at NC State, and is an active member in the Alpha Pi Chapter of Epsilon Pi Tau.
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Ernst, J. V., Williams, T. O., Clark, A.C., Kelly, D. P. & Sutton, K. (under review). K-12 STEM educator autonomy: An investigation of school influence and classroom control. Journal of STEM Education.
- Sutton, K., Grubbs, M., & Ernst, J. (2014). Design Under Constraints: Cell Phone Case Design Challenge. The Technology Teacher, 74(2), 12-17.
- Swinson, R. Clark, A. C., Ernst, J. V., & Sutton, K. (2016). Design, Test, Redesign: Simulation in Technology, Engineering, and Design Education Classrooms. The Technology Teacher, 75(7), 8-12.
- Swinson, R. Clark, A. C., Ernst, J. V., & Sutton, K. (2016). New Roles for Project Design Engineers. The Technology Teacher, 75(8), 8-12.
- Sutton, K. G., Busby, J. R., Kelly, D. P. (In Press). Multicopter Design Challenge. The Technology Teacher.
- TDE 205 Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging
- TDE 230 Scientific and Technical Visualization
- GC 340 Website Development
- GC 250 Architectural Graphic Communications
- GC 120 Foundation of Graphics
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Classroom Teaching, North Carolina State University Graduate Student Association (3/2016)
- Outstanding Member Award for service and leadership in Epsilon Pi Tau, North Carolina State Education Council (3/2016)
- William Warner 2106 Graduate Student Research Award, Epsilon Pi Tau (2/2016)
- Epsilon Pi Tau Robert & Marilyn Wenig Scholarship, North Carolina State University College of Education (8/2014)
- Donald Maley Spirit of Excellence Outstanding Graduate Student Citation, International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (3/2014)
- Outstanding Senior Award in Technology Education, North Carolina State University College of Education (5/2012)
EdD Technology Education North Carolina State University 2018
Graduate Certificate Integrative STEM Education Virginia Tech 2013
MAEd Curriculum and Instruction Virginia Tech 2013
BS Technology Education North Carolina State University 2012
Minor Graphic Communications North Carolina State University 2012
Area(s) of Expertise
Dr. Sutton’s current research is focused on investigating performance assessment practices in engineering design graphics courses. His other interests include developing Integrative STEM activities and iterative design.