Dr. Cullinan, Professor of Special Education, has taught students with behavioral, learning, and emotional disabilities in public schools and a correctional institution. Cullinan's main professional interests are the nature, measurement, scope, and improvement of behavior and emotional problems of students. He has served on the editorial boards of several professional journals, and has directed or assisted on funded projects for various special education objectives, including preparing teachers of students with behavior and emotional disabilities. Cullinan was President, Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders, 1992-93.
Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education from University of Virginia in 1974
Master of Education in Special Education from University of Virginia in 1968
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from University of Virginia in 1966
Selected Scholarly Publications
- Sabornie, E. J., Evans, C., & Cullinan, D. (2006). Comparing characteristics of high-incidence disability groups. Remedial and Special Education, 27, 95-104.
- Cullinan, D., & Kauffman, J. M. (2005). Do race of student and race of teacher influence ratings of emotional and behavioral problem characteristics of students with emotional disturbance? Behavioral Disorders, 30, 393-402
- Sabornie, E. J., Cullinan, D., Osborne, S. S., & Brock, L. B. (2005). Intellectual, academic, and behavioral functioning of students with high incidence disabilities: A cross-categorical meta-analysis. Exceptional Children, 72, 47-63.
- Cullinan, D., Osborne, S., & Epstein, M.H. (2004). Characteristics of emotional disturbance of female students. Remedial and Special Education, 25, 276-290.
- Cullinan, D., & Sabornie, E.J. (2004). Characteristics of emotional disturbance in middle and high school students. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 12, 157-167.
- Evans, C., Weiss, S. L., & Cullinan, D. (2012). Teacher perceptions and behavioral strategies for students with emotional disturbance across educational environments. Preventing School Failure, 56(2), 1–9.
- Wery, J. J., & Cullinan, D. (2013). State definitions of emotional disturbance. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 21, 45—52.
- Nordness, P. D., Epstein, M. H., & Cullinan, D. (2013). Using direct observation to assist in eligibility decisions and intervention planning: The Scales for Assessing Emotional Disturbance-2 Observation Form. Intervention in School and Clinic, 48, 313—318.
- Cullinan, D., & Epstein, M. H. (2013). Development, reliability, and construct validity of the Emotional and Behavioral Screener. Preventing School Failure, 57, 231—239.
- Lambert, M. C., Epstein, M. H., & Cullinan, D. (2014). The diagnostic quality of the Emotional and Behavioral Screener. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 32, 51-61.
- Nordness, P. D., Epstein, M. H., Cullinan, D., & Pierce, C. (in press). Emotional and Behavioral Screener: Test-retest reliability, inter-rater reliability, and convergent validity. Remedial and Special Education.