METRC can provide K-12 fiction, nonfiction and graphic novels as well as professional books to help you use the literature well. Get full information on methods to search the collection and how to use our books and ebooks on our collections page. We also have a series of online resources to assist you with using our literature:
Finding Reading Lists, Reviews, Award Winners, Lesson Ideas etc.
- We have a paid subscription to this service – it should work automatically on campus but off campus you need a username and password. Please contact METRC for the username/password 919-515-3191 or email@example.com
- CLCD – Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database
- Create an account and access reviews by readers of all ages, book lists, etc. – books also connect to local libraries and stores so you can access the title. If you use GoodReads to find a book, click on the “Libraries” link – then go to “Find Text at NCSU” and then “Search the Catalog” – this will show you if the book is available at METRC. NOTE – you must be on the NCSU network for this to work.
- Livebinder of Online, Free K–12 Texts
K-12 Literature and Informational Print Books
The K-12/juvenile print collection can be used by all NCSU students and faculty.
- Browsing through the color-coding system
Many ebooks are available by searching the NCSU library catalog – if you find a book in the catalog that says “View resource online,” you have found an eBook from Ebrary, Mackin Via, or NCSU Libraries. All can be viewed in a web browser and Mackin Via books can be downloaded to a device or ereader. College of Education students also have access to Overdrive to check out books to an ereader or mobile device.
To access eBooks on a mobile reader (Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc.) use Overdrive or Mackin Via. You can read Via books via a web browser or by downloading an app on a mobile device i.e. smartphone or tablet. To use Overdrive books, you must download the Overdrive app or another app like Kindle or Nook.
- OVERDRIVE: After searching and finding an ebook on Overdrive, you will be prompted to enter your “Library card number.” Your library card number is the same as your Student ID number. Enter your 9-digit Student ID number to gain access. Overdrive Help
- MACKIN VIA – Browse by genre, text level, subject, etc. – you can also search for a specific title. You can view the book without checking it out as long as you have logged in to the NCSU CED METRC account. If you are prompted for a username and password, please contact METRC staff 919-515-3191 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To “check out” a book to a device create your own account in the upper right corner. Click here for a list of Mackin eBooks with multi-user licenses.. Mackin Via Help
- TUMBLE BOOKS – Interactive read-aloud eBooks some with quizzes. Our “plus” subscription also includes math content. Books and content are tied to Common Core Standards. If you are prompted for a username and password, please contact METRC staff 919-515-3191 or email@example.com Tumble Books Help