Dr. Hiller Spires' Partnerships in China
1. Partnership and MOU with Beijing Royal School
In 2010, Dr. Spires initiated the partnership with Beijing Royal School (BRS) by leading a delegation to conduct the New Literacies Teacher Leader Institute with teachers at BRS. The ongoing partnership with BRS includes a variety of activities including: BRS teachers attending NC State to receive their M.Ed. in the New Literacies & Global Learning program, BRS teachers attending New Literacies Teacher Leader Institutes at the Friday Institute, and BRS students and teachers participating in Project-Based Inquiry (PBI) Global. For her work with BRS, Dr. Spires received NCSU’s Jackson Rigney International Service Award in 2011.
2. Partnership and MOU with Suzhou North America High School
Dr. Spires received a $1.5M grant (2014 – 2016) to help create a state-of-the-art high school in Suzhou, China.
The new school is scheduled to open in May 2016. The goals of the project are:
- Provide leadership for the development of a teaching, learning, and technology plan for the school.
- Provide consultation on the physical and technological design of the new facility to ensure that it supports contemporary teaching and learning systems.
- Provide ongoing training for educational staff in pedagogical approaches that support inquiry learning.
- Create student and faculty academic exchanges between NC State University and SNA to expand the range and depth of global research and competence in both organizations.
SNA is collaborating with the Wake STEM Early College High School on Project-Based Inquiry Global.